VS window activation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

araav

Armenia
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2004 :  04:33:37 AM  Show Profile
when VC is inactive, but the bottom hotizontal scroll is visible and you click in page down region of the horiz scroll bar, the scrol bar moves while the text - does not.

i know this is not a major issue, but i reported it a couple of yrs ago and received an e-mail with "thank you for excellent description etc..." but this wasn't fixed still:(

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Dec 15 2004 4:06:20 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2004 :  3:53:10 PM  Show Profile
i am unable to reproduce this with either VC6 or .NET 2003

which IDE and version of VAX are you using?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2004 :  4:06:13 PM  Show Profile
This is the Visual Assist .NET 7.1 and Visual Assist 6.0 Forum!

I bet you're using Visual Assist X...

Moving this Thread to the proper Forum...

Go to Top of Page

araav

Armenia
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2004 :  09:51:06 AM  Show Profile
feline, how about this bug? ;)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2004 :  06:16:17 AM  Show Profile
as i said, i tried this and was unable to reproduce it. i can have another look, but unless you can provide me with some more hints / ideas of what to try then i am going to get the same result again.

are you running other plugin's? is there some other program on your computer that may be getting in the way?

Go to Top of Page

araav

Armenia
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2004 :  06:26:25 AM  Show Profile
i reread the first paragraph of my first posting and found it quite easy to follow.
please tell me what you did that failed to reproduce it as it's always happening. this is vc6 and with all versions of VA.

p.s. I hope you know what is page down region of scroll bar
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2004 :  11:06:49 AM  Show Profile
Maybe it is easy for you to follow. However, for me, there is no "page down" region of the horizontal scroll bar. There is a page down region of the vertical scroll bar.

I would be surprised to find that this is related to VA at all, but it could be.

You still haven't given us the specifics on version of VS and VA you are using.

My guess is that it is a video driver problem. I have tried both the page right and the page down sections of the appropriate scroll bars with IE at the application with focus. Does the application with focus affect the behavior of the bug?

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2004 :  3:51:57 PM  Show Profile
i will type this post as i do the actions, so you will know exactly what i have done.

load virtual machine, running win2k and VC6
load VC6 and open a workspace with some long C++ source files
VAX 1287 is active, and the source code has both horizontal and vertical scroll bars.
run notepad which is now in front of VC
the file is at the top, so the scroll bar is at the top.
single left click at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar, just above the down arrow, which makes VC the current window
VC comes to the front, the scroll bar moves, and the code redraws with the screen one page further down.
so the bug did not show up on this system.

now close notepad
resize VC so it fills half the screen
the caret is in the editor window
single left click on the desktop to take focus away from VC
now once more single left click on the vertical scroll bar to both move the code down one page and to make VC the current window
as before, everything works as expected.

as jpizzi says, you still have not posted the details of your system. i have seen redraw problems in other text editors before (textpad for example) which have been caused by the video drivers, so unless you can add something i am inclined to agree with jpizzi.

do you have access to another computer to try this experiment on? does the problem go away if you disable VAX? as jpizzi asks, is the reference to the horizontal scroll bar just a typo, or are you doing something different to me?

Go to Top of Page

araav

Armenia
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2004 :  01:36:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

i will type this post as i do the actions, so you will know exactly what i have done.

load virtual machine, running win2k and VC6
load VC6 and open a workspace with some long C++ source files
VAX 1287 is active, and the source code has both horizontal and vertical scroll bars.
run notepad which is now in front of VC
the file is at the top, so the scroll bar is at the top.
single left click at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar, just above the down arrow, which makes VC the current window
VC comes to the front, the scroll bar moves, and the code redraws with the screen one page further down.
so the bug did not show up on this system.

now close notepad
resize VC so it fills half the screen
the caret is in the editor window
single left click on the desktop to take focus away from VC
now once more single left click on the vertical scroll bar to both move the code down one page and to make VC the current window
as before, everything works as expected.

as jpizzi says, you still have not posted the details of your system. i have seen redraw problems in other text editors before (textpad for example) which have been caused by the video drivers, so unless you can add something i am inclined to agree with jpizzi.

do you have access to another computer to try this experiment on? does the problem go away if you disable VAX? as jpizzi asks, is the reference to the horizontal scroll bar just a typo, or are you doing something different to me?

arghhhhh, feline, you did everything perfectly well, except one thing, you needed to left click on horizontal scroll bar instead of the vertical one

:) nothing special with my system
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2004 :  1:57:39 PM  Show Profile
hence the confusion. the horizontal scroll bar does not scroll down a page.

regardless of this, i still cannot reproduce this on my machine, even using the horizontal scroll bar.

are there newer video drivers available for your video card? do you have access to a second machine with VC6 installed where you could try this?

based on my past experience video drivers still sound like the most likely cause of this effect.

Go to Top of Page

araav

Armenia
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2004 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile
sorry, but video drivers have nothing to do with these kind of things that i am talking about.

and this is a very old bug which I reported to your support team (posted many big screeshots, may be you can find it in WT's archive) and got a reply where they accepted it is a bug. if you do the things right i described, it's happening every time.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2004 :  1:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Well, now both feline and I have tried your procedure, without experiencing what you are describing.

If you follow feline's procedure to the letter (substituting page right on the horizontal scroll bar for page down on the vertical scroll bar), does it happen on your machine? It does not on mine, and it does not on feline's (as he stated in his post).

The fact that you have seen this for a long time only helps to support the claim that there is something specific on your machine. I have only been following the forums for about a year and a half, but I have not seen any previous mention of the behavior you describe.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2004 :  4:28:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by araav

sorry, but video drivers have nothing to do with these kind of things that i am talking about.

the best answer i can give to this is that when i evaluated textpad on my work machine the text refused to scroll vertically when it word wrapped onto a new line when i was typing at the bottom of the screen.

for all the world it looked like a bug in the program. this was fixed by upgrading to the latest video card drivers.

here you are reporting a problem with scrolling, yet no one else is able to reproduce this. how can you be so sure that the video drivers are not a factor? can you reproduce this on a different machine? is there some step that we are missing when we try to reproduce this?

i am sure this is very frustrating for you, but unless we are able to reproduce this, there is not a lot more we can do.

Go to Top of Page

araav

Armenia
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2004 :  5:15:00 PM  Show Profile
umm, ok, let's see, since the bug was discovered I've changed more than 10 machines and worked on more than 30 machines (i'm a god damn programmer).
ok, I tried the sequence of what feline said and it happened again: when you click on page right section of the horizontal scroll bar, while VC window is inactive (regardless the current position of the horizontal scroll bar) the scroll bar moves one page right then immediately jumps back to position 0 and main editor window shows the text starting from the second character.

ok, as i said before, this is not a major issue, just a bug that needs fixing, nothing else, if you want I can do some printscreens and post here.

thanks and happy new year,
VA is my favorite addon,
Ara
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2004 :  11:12:04 AM  Show Profile
I just tried it and it happend to me. I'm using VS6 VC++ VA1287
I have the IDE taking up only part of the screen and bring up notepad. It happens if notepad has the focus and I click on the page right part of the horizontal scroll bar. The text scrolls and then immediately jumps back. (My text shows with the first character and the scroll bar stays off of the left hand edge)
Now, if I grab the notepad and drag it over the left hand end of the IDE scroll bar and then back off in one motion, then the scroll bar is back on the left hand end.
This hasn't bothered me because I never have the IDE at anything but maximized or minimized. I also only have one instance of the IDE running.
Ken
As a follow up here. It doesn't have to be restored, it happens even when the IDE is maximized and notepad is on top and has the focus. Also, even if you have scrolled the IDE over some before you do this, it jumps back all the way to the left.
I just tried it with VA disabled and it works correctly.
I had the text scrolled over and when I enabled VA it jumped back to the first position and left the scroll bar where it was.

Ken

Edited by - Old as dirt on Dec 31 2004 11:40:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

araav

Armenia
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2005 :  4:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Ken, 10x for reproducing
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2005 :  5:15:56 PM  Show Profile
finally i have managed to reproduce this! it only seems to happen when VC6 is restored, so that it only takes up part of the screen. since i don't run at a very high resolution i always keep the IDE maximised, which seems to have been the problem

i am glad we finally got to the bottom of this one

for me this only happens around 60% of the time, the rest of the time the text scrolls sideways correctly. the work around is to click on the scroll bar a second time

case=481

Go to Top of Page

araav

Armenia
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2005 :  6:09:39 PM  Show Profile
good work, feline, but...
it happens 100% all the time and VC++ maximized. vc++ is always maximized for mee too.

o activate vc++
o opens some file
o just single left click on some free place (you know, a place where right clicking opens taskbar menu) on the taskbar. vc window is now inactive
o single left click on vc++'s horizontal scroll bar's page right region.

cheers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000