FSIW should be global
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2005 :  3:43:12 PM  Show Profile
Currently find symbol is a text editor shortcut. This means you can't use it to get started again after using Windows|Close All. It should be a global shortcut, like OFIW.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2005 :  12:55:02 PM  Show Profile
for me, both OFIW and FSIW are text editor shortcut keys.

you are able to remap both of them in the .NET 2003 options, so you can easily change this yourself

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  5:36:53 PM  Show Profile
Ahh, I must have changed OFIW myself in that case. In that case I suggest both should becomes global shortcuts, so you can use either to get started!

Rationale: sometimes, when editing a file, I find myself needing to go to its header. If I have about 10,000,000 other windows open, I do a windows|close all then OFIW to go back to where I was. Every now and again I find the need to use FSIW for a similar purpose. Either is useful for getting started when you open a project with no windows open, too.

(I used to have a macro that would close all except the current window -- a slightly modified version of one of the macro samples it was -- but it didn't close tabbed tool windows (output, find in files, etc.) which was a pain. Roll on WndTabs for VS.NET, I say, or maybe some better tab support in the default package rather than the rubbish they give you at the moment, but in the mean time making OFIW global by default would ease my pain slightly :))
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2005 :  5:23:32 PM  Show Profile
i tend to agree. the problem with FWIS is that the shortcut alt_shift_s is already bound to

Image.RectangleSelectionTool (VC Image Editor)

according to my .NET 2003 install. this must be a default key binding since i have never set this up myself. so to set a global key binding for FSIW will require removing an existing default key binding, which is probably not a brilliant idea

i am not seeing any default key presses in .NET 2003 that conflict with OFIW and your reason is good

case=489

Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2005 :  09:27:47 AM  Show Profile
Exposing my Monday morning stupidity - what are OFIW and FSIW?

Ken
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2005 :  12:47:06 PM  Show Profile
OFIW - Open File in Workspace
FSIW - Find Symbol in Workspace

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2005 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile
while looking for something else i discovered case=225, apparently OFIW is set to global scope, but you need to do a reset of .NET when installing VAX to pick this up.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000