ALT-G in comments
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2005 :  5:58:10 PM  Show Profile

Is there any particular reason why ALT-G can't be made to work on identifiers which are within comments?

It would be very useful to be able to comment-out a function's definition, then ALT-G from the (now commented) name of the function to the header file to comment-out the declaration.

Maybe this is difficult for some reason I haven't thought of.

Will

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  01:49:11 AM  Show Profile
I've often wanted to do this. I quite frequently refer to another function in the comments to a function.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  01:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Technically, there is no context for functions inside a comment. It's as if the function is no longer a function, because it isn't despite the fact it looks like one.

For the same reason, Ctrl+Space after typing part of a symbol generates a list of string matches from within your file. The symbol has no context either.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  11:29:09 AM  Show Profile
You're correct, of course. But it would still be useful to pretend that it's in scope so that Alt-G did something useful.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

willdean
Tomato Guru

134 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2005 :  06:37:21 AM  Show Profile

Thanks for this, but I still don't see why the contents of a comment can't been seen as being in the scope which contains the comment.

I'm not really sure where 'technically' comes into it - VA is not strictly following language parsing rules, it's trying to help developers. (cf your approach to #if 0)

Will
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2005 :  10:54:55 AM  Show Profile
There is no doubt VA X could guess at scope of symbols in a comment, particularly if uncommenting results in parse-able code. Obviously, the problem arises when prose within comments makes commented code impossible to parse.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2005 :  2:07:54 PM  Show Profile
*thinks about how i would want this to work*

i can see two basic situations where i would normally want to do this.
a) i am referencing a class member function, normally on the same class. so if VAX knows which class the comment is attached to, first look for the word as a member function of this class.

knowing which class i am on could be hard though, especially for comments that are above a function, so not actually with its scope.

b) some system function that is directly relevant to what i am doing.

in both cases feeding the current word into FSIW stands a good chance of at least helping, if not actually offering up the correct situation. this is of course based on me remembering to be sensible when i ask VAX to goto a comment word.

i would like to report i can record a macro in .NET 2003 to select the current word, copy it, run FSIW, and paste in the word. however i cannot seem to make this macro run correctly. the sequence of key presses is very straight forward:

ctrl_w - select the current word
ctrl_c - copy the word
alt_shift_s - open FSIW
ctrl_v - paste the word you are interested in

yet i am not getting consistent results when running the temporary macro i am recording.

*looks for a big stick to use on this IDE*

accessing menus with the keyboard does not seem to get recorded when i record a temporary macro. how exactly am i supposed to use such a diabolical macro system?

anyone know of a good total beginners guide to writing macro's for the IDE? this should be easy, if only it would work *sigh*

for now how about manually using FSIW as a work around?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000