New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

axel014

Romania
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2005 :  03:53:16 AM  Show Profile
hi again
I ran into this annoying issue, don't know if anybody reported it yet. In visual c++ I have some headers included in a cpp file, headers that come from another project; of course they are not located in any of the current project folders. I didn't want to specify the path in the #include statement so instead i added that path in project properties, c/c++, additional include directories. Everything compiles ok, but VAX does not see those headers, so autocompletion and syntax coloring does not work properly for types defined in those headers.. of course adding the folders in VAX options, c/c++ directories would work, but the headers are not used in all projects, and, even worse, there are a couple of different versions of the headers..

Is there a way VAX could also take into account the headers in project properties?

Thanks for being supportive, by the way

using:
VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1293.0
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (3-user license) Support ends 2005.11.18
VA.NET 7.1: ALEXM
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2005 :  6:42:19 PM  Show Profile
this is strange. it is supposed to, and for me it does.

http://66.150.196.105/products/features/directories.html?more=yes

have you used environment variables here? these have been known to cause problems with VAX picking up extra directories.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

axel014

Romania
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2005 :  03:24:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm not using the evironment variables.. There are some details I just noticed that should point to something:

first of all when typing an #include, normally VAX gives a list of headers. The headers in the other folders don't show up for me.

i have a typedef struct ... DIFF_RgnList, *PDIFF_RgnList; in one of the header. When using this type it isn't shown in type color (it's regular black, i use the default VAX color scheme). Typing PDIFF_RgnL (or something similar) and Ctrl-Space shows a suggestion list that includes my type as well. Pressing Return with this type selected in the suggestion list just clears what i have typed, instead of completing the type name.

I define a variable PDIFF_RgnList pRgn; When typing pRgn. the '.' does not change to -> as it normally does. Instead i have this message in the status bar: IntelliSense: '. or -> used incorrectly'. If i type pRgn-> on the other hand, the suggestion list shows ok. I don't have 'Get contents from default Intellisense' option active, but it looks like Intellisense is somewhere at the root of this evil

hope that helps in some way..
Go to Top of Page

axel014

Romania
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2005 :  09:37:14 AM  Show Profile
I've tested this in a new project and everything worked ok.. It must be some project specific setting..Will get back if I find anything concludent..
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2005 :  4:21:17 PM  Show Profile
strange. the effects you are describing sort of make sense if VAX does not know about this type, which comes from not knowing about the headers. i am not sure what might have caused this though. i would be interested to know if you ever work out the cause of this strangeness.

Go to Top of Page

axel014

Romania
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2005 :  05:00:33 AM  Show Profile
i found it :) entering a space before a path specified in project properties gets you this behavior. The compiler however works ok with that. The additional include folder string can be something like " path" or "path1; path2" or anything like that..
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2005 :  4:03:07 PM  Show Profile
using .NET 2003 and VAX 1297 a new directory is picked up even with a space in front of it. it could be this has been fixed in a recent version. or it could be the IDE, since when i went back to project options the leading space had been removed.

Go to Top of Page

axel014

Romania
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2005 :  03:18:23 AM  Show Profile
with VAX 1297 the space remains in place, so it's probably solved by the ide.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2005 :  4:33:16 PM  Show Profile
thats odd, since we seem to be using the same IDE. how are you entering the include path, and where is the space?

i read your words as meaning you added a new include path, on its own line, with a leading space. so this is what i tested. i did not test placing more than one include path on the same line using spaces and semi-colons as separators.

i will add a case for this if i can reproduce it on demand

Go to Top of Page

axel014

Romania
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2005 :  07:35:17 AM  Show Profile
i entered the folders in the Additional Include Directories field without opening the [...] dialog. You can place spaces there before a path and the IDE does not remove them
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2005 :  5:24:38 PM  Show Profile
*um* i have just double checked, this is exactly what i did. i press the folder button to add a new include directory path, and i simply typed in the path. this time i placed three spaces in front, just to be sure.

VAX picks up the extra directory immediately, and the leading spaces are gone when i next open the IDE's options to look.

Go to Top of Page

Baga
Tomato Guru

122 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2005 :  06:52:49 AM  Show Profile
As pointed by axel014 - it happens when you don't press the folder button at all - just type in or paste path directly.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2005 :  4:13:15 PM  Show Profile
in this dialog if i type or use CTRL_V nothing happens. the only way i can make it add a new include path is to press the yellow folder icon. at this point i am given the choice of either typing in the path string (or pasting it in) or browsing for it via the [...] button.

am i missing something obvious here?

Go to Top of Page

Baga
Tomato Guru

122 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2005 :  5:41:06 PM  Show Profile
Maybe we are talking about different dialogs?
I emailed to support screenshot of the one i am talking about. axel014 - do you agree?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2005 :  6:33:57 PM  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2005 :  5:08:10 PM  Show Profile
now i see what is going on. i was in a different dialog, which behaves differently. check out the "Default Directories" section here:

http://66.150.196.105/products/features/directories.html?more=yes

this is the dialog i was in

Go to Top of Page

axel014

Romania
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2005 :  06:08:40 AM  Show Profile
sorry i've been away for a while.. yes, Baga's version is what i had in mind :) quite a long thread for an insignificant bug :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2005 :  11:45:38 AM  Show Profile
i agree, this has taken a while still we got there in the end.

case=540

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000