VAX 1298 crashes my VS.NET 2003
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yuvalr

14 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2005 :  06:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi.
I've worked a long time with VAX1230, and was very happy with it. Now, I tried to upgrade to 1298, and it caused me some serious problems. It just crashes my VS.NET 2003 during the info gathering stage of VAX (when the filenames are running in the status bar). There's no error messages or dialog boxes. The VS IDE just disappears. One moment it's there, the next it's gone. Vanished from the desktop/task-bar/task-manager without leaving a trace.

What can I do?

Thanks,
Yuval

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2005 :  4:44:09 PM  Show Profile
does the IDE stay loaded long enough for you to access the VAX options dialog and to request a rebuild all? this is a long shot, but it could help.

next have you tried uninstalling your current VAX install, renaming the:

C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X

directory and then reinstalling VAX? i suggest renaming the directory to avoid having the same HD location used for the reinstall.

do you have any other plugin's installed?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2005 :  7:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Reinstall of a VA X build clears our cache and history. Hence, rebuild is automatic after a reinstall. This is not to say reinstalling VA X is not worth a try.

Build 1298 launches a Tip-of-the-day at startup. Perhaps it's causing the crash.

Disable the Tip-of-the-day prior to launching your IDE. Use Regedit to set the following to "No"

HKCU|Software|Whole Tomato|Visual Assist X|ShowTipOfTheDay

If this does not help, try build 1293.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1293.exe

Go to Top of Page

yuvalr

14 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2005 :  06:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi a to all of you, and thanks for your help. Sorry I didn't reply earlier (work, work, work)...

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall several times and nothing helped. Each time I made sure the uninstall completely deletes the "C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X" folder (which it did perfectly) and made sure the "HKCU\\Software\\Whole Tomato" and "HKLM\\Software\\Whole Tomato" are completely deleted (which it didn't do perfectly and I had to do manually). After each reinstall, the "Enter Key" dialog appeared, so I entered my key. Then the TipOfTheDay window appeared and I closed it. Then I opened one of my projects, and then the cache build began, and I saw the filenames running in the status bar. After a while, while it was still working, the IDE crashed as described in my first message.

I tried once to set the "ShowTipOfTheDay" registry key to "No", as you suggested, so the TipOfTheDay window won't appear. That window actually didn't appear, but the IDE craches all the same.

I also tried build 1293, but the results were the same.

The others plugins I have in my IDE are IncrediBuild and Rational PurifyPlus.

Am I forced to go back to build 1230?

Thanks again,
Yuval
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2005 :  5:17:13 PM  Show Profile
i recognise IncrediBuild but not Rational PurifyPlus. is this related to Rational Rose XML tools?

can you try disabling the other plugin's and trying again? sometimes multiple plugin's interfere with each other and cause problems.

Go to Top of Page

yuvalr

14 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2005 :  03:46:05 AM  Show Profile
Rational was a company making all kinds of software development tools. One of them is Rose. Another one is Purify which deals with memory corruption and leak detection (PurifyPlus also adds profiling). Rational was purchased by IBM, which keeps its product line. Look at http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/purifyplus/ if you're interested.

How do I disable a plugin? Is there a standard Visual Studio way of doing that, or do I have to find each plugin's unique way?

Yuval
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2005 :  3:48:09 PM  Show Profile
i didn't know that about Rational. live and learn.

in .NET 2003 under the tools menu there is an option "Add-in Manager..."

this lists all installed addin's. if you remove the ticks in the startup column for all addin's other than VAX and restart the IDE this should ensure that none of the other addin's have been loaded.

hopefully you can do this before the IDE crashes, and also hopefully this will stop the crash from happening. if it does can you tell us which addin or combination of addin's have to be enabled before the crash occurs?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000