Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coder0xff
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2005 :  3:53:36 PM  Show Profile
When I declare a __gc array :

System::Drawing::Bitmap* conditionalLayers __gc[];

VA X doesn't seem to consider this a declaration, and underlines 'conditionalLayers' in red. It doesn't appear in the suggestion list. If I remove the '__gc[]' it is fine.

[email protected]
---------------------
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Im not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein"

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2005 :  5:04:26 PM  Show Profile
this looks like it could be managed C++ code, going by the namespace usage.

what is this line doing? i have learned some C# so i know a small amount about .NET programming. however i don't recognise what this code is doing.

i am not finding any reference to "conditionalLayers" in the .NET documentation.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2005 :  7:02:12 PM  Show Profile
conditionalLayers is his variable name. __gc[] is a garbage collected array. Can't tell if this is C# or managed C++, though.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

jorgito11

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2005 :  3:56:20 PM  Show Profile
The code is managed C++ (MC++). coder0xff is creating a managed array. A managed array has two types (in this case, Bitmap and the Array types). "StringBuilder* sb[] = new StringBuilder*[3];" and "StringBuilder* sb __gc[] = __gc new StringBuilder*[3];" are essentially the same except the intellisense does not recognize the second one. Either "__gc" can be removed without causing a compiling error.

However, since types such as "int" that can be interpreted as a __value type or unmanaged POD, you are forced to use __gc:

int i __gc[] = {1, 2, 3}; // Intellisense is confused!

However, this is okay:

Int32 i[] = {1, 2, 3}; // Intellisense is working here!

since "Int32" is only a __value type.

Most MC++ programmers will use "int" before using "Int32"!

Edited by - jorgito11 on Mar 21 2005 3:58:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2005 :  5:00:28 PM  Show Profile
interesting. obviously there is a lot more to the basic types in .NET than i had realised.

case=534

experimenting with this i am getting errors when i try the line:

String *testArray __gc[];

in C#, while it compiles quite happily in managed C++. does this mean this idea only applies to managed C++?

Go to Top of Page

jorgito11

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2005 :  11:55:40 AM  Show Profile
Yes, this only applies to Managed C++ because MC++ can have managed and unmanaged code living together. The code,

String *testArray[], has an implied __gc before the "[]" because the type is managed. However, CString *strArray[] has no implied __gc since the type is definitely unmanaged. However, int i[] is ambiguous since it can be a managed array of Int32 __value types or an unmanaged array of POD integers. The C# compiler and itellisense does not have to worry about this difference since everything is managed.

C++/CLI in VS.NET 2005 has a new syntax to address this since it is very confusing for the developer to sort out what is managed and unmanaged.

Edited by - jorgito11 on Apr 01 2005 11:57:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2005 :  2:24:48 PM  Show Profile
*ah* i now recall reading an article about the new syntax for pointers in .NET 2005 for managed C++, but i had not started learning C# at the time i read it, and it made very little sense. now it makes a lot more sense, thank you for the explanation

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000