Spell Check TXT files
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

themoose

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2005 :  09:08:50 AM  Show Profile
MS Dev studio lets you add non-code files to the workspace and we tend to have a fair few TXT files in ours. Many of these go out to our customers, readmes etc. Is there any way we can get VA X to spell check them?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2005 :  4:19:53 PM  Show Profile
have you tried VAX menu -> tools -> spell check ?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

themoose

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2005 :  12:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Of course, have you?

The sugestions are blank and it doesn't underline the spellings in the text file either.

Is there some way I can tell it that .TXT should be spell checked and tell it to use my dictionary.

If type hampster it knows its not an English word but all the sugestion box contains is "hampster" and I can't press Ignore or Ignore All but not Change.

If it knows hampster is wrong how come it doesn't offer hamster instead?

Hmmmmmmm...

Sorry if the initial post was kinda vague.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2005 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile
i have tried this myself. you can get suggestions to appear in the spell check dialog by editing the word. this is a know bug which hopefully will be fixed soon.

case=464

i feel slightly torn over putting in a request to underline all unknown words in all non code files. this is probably a good idea in txt files, but what about other file extensions? from your perspective would having VAX actively spell check all words in only .txt files be enough? would it cause problems?

ideally VAX should "just work", so having some option screen where you can specify the extensions of files to spell check is not a wonderful idea.

Go to Top of Page

themoose

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  12:31:38 PM  Show Profile
>from your perspective would having VAX actively spell check all words in only .txt files be enough? would it cause problems?

Just TXT files would be good and a great improvement.

>ideally VAX should "just work", so having some option screen where you can specify the extensions of files to spell check is not a wonderful idea.

I think specifying file extensions of files to check is a wonderful idea. But just TXT files would be OK.

Another option might be a button on the tool bar that said "Spell check this now". If you are working on a file and you want it checked then you press it.

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

themoose

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  12:39:47 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I'm being kinda vague, again.

"Another option might be a button on the tool bar that said "Spell check this now". If you are working on a file and you want it checked then you press it."

The above button would be a spell-check as I type and under-line mistakes button. If you are working on a .txt or .whatever file and you press the button it starts checking and keeps doing it until you press the button again or close the window.

If the user presses the button while working on a 50Mb .LOG file its their problem. <grin>
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  2:41:28 PM  Show Profile
this all sounds good to me

case=560

i have put on the end the idea to use the existing "toggle underlining" button (which you can add to the VA toolbar) to trigger spell checking in files that are not normally spell checked.

as an aside 50meg log files are easy i once tried to log a recursive program that would occasionally crash. the program then crashed when the log file reached 2gig and it was unable to write any more data to the end of the file

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000