New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Torsten

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2005 :  04:55:05 AM  Show Profile
I am using VS_2003 and VAX_1301.

From time to time it happened in the past that the layout of all windows in VS was totally screwed up. It looked like the client coordinates for placing all windows had nothing to do with the real coordinates on the screen anymore. The only way to fix this seemed to use 'Reset Window Layout' from the general VS options. This works, but I had to rearrange my hole layout of the IDE windows again.

While I haven't seen this for quite a while now (supposed this was maybe due to a bug in former VA releases installed) it happend again today. After useless fiddeling around with resizing, minimizing, disabeling VA, unloading VA, etc. I used 'Reset Window Layout'. So far so good, I set up my IDE layout again and suddenly reallized that the VAView was gone. I click on the menu item and nothing happens.

I have uninstalled VA, tried to delete all registry keys under 'Whole Tomato' for both, current user and local machine, and reinstalled VA. This doen't help, VAView is still out of sight. Has anyone an idea how to bring it back?

-Torsten

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2005 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile
this is very much grasping at straws.

if you uninstall VA, then reset the window layout, then reinstall VA perhaps this will help. i am hoping that the reset with no VA installed will help to clean things up.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Torsten

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2005 :  5:36:30 PM  Show Profile
No, the straw is broken.

I have uninstalled VA then reset the window layout in VS. I closed VS, removed the VA directory on disk and reinstalled VA. This doesn't help, the VAView is still out of sight.
Where is the position of the VAView stored? Maybe in the registry? If I knew where, maybe deleting the entry would help.

I am a little bit desperate.
-Torsten
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2005 :  6:12:07 PM  Show Profile
*sigh* it was worth asking. i have emailed support, hopefully they will know what to try.

Go to Top of Page

Torsten

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2005 :  6:26:20 PM  Show Profile
I digged a little more. I have a tool called Winspector to examine the properties of any window on the screen and the messages sent to it.
When starting Visual Studio, I see in Winspector under the VS parent window indeed a window called "VA View". When I examine the properties of this window I get:

Properties for window 0x000904C6
Item: Value
Class Name: GenericPane
Text: VA View
Rectangle: 274, 293, 474, 393
Size: 200, 100
Client Rectangle: 0, 0, 200, 100
Client Size: 200, 100
Styles: WS_CHILD
WS_CLIPSIBLINGS
WS_CLIPCHILDREN
StylesEx: WS_EX_LEFT
WS_EX_LTRREADING
WS_EX_RIGHTSCROLLBAR
ID: 0
Properties: VBAutomation 0x0119DE4C (18472524)
Class specific: none
Owner EXE: C:\\VisualStudio.NET\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe

I can't see anything unusual here.
But I simply have no VAView, although it should be perfectly fitted on the screen.

-Torsten
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 02 2005 :  06:37:35 AM  Show Profile
from the page http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/ide/#original

you can download a powertoy for the 2003 IDE which will allow you to save and restore the window layout. i use this quite successfully at work. i have been trying to figure out where it saves the layout information, but so far without success. if we could figure this out then i could save a layout including VAView on my machine and email you the layout information, which you could then apply.

the plugin is written in C#, and i was able to download the code from the website. it seems that an object of type _DTE is doing the work, but this is not helping me much. also the closest i could get in my registry to something that looks liked saved windows position is a key called

name = InprocServer32
type = REG_MULTI_SZ
value = |v%9I!d7PU?-VQb6w*m'%>])d]&_([]X'9l$t*3[+s

never having written an IDE plugin i am feeling a little out of my depth

Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - May 03 2005 :  03:08:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi feline,

what you see in InprocServer32 is some information from the Windows installer written for "installer controlled" COM objects. So this is definitely not the windows position.

Hi Torsten,

VS.Net uses a mixture of Registry and user's profile directory for saving user settings.
I would try to rename (while VS.NET is closed) the following directories: <documents and settings>\\<userName>\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\7.1 and <documents and settings>\\<userName>\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\7.1

Rename them to 7.1_ or similar so you still have them around if anything goes wrong when VS.NET tries to recreate thoses directories.

I would expect VS.NET to come up with default settings when you start it after this change.

HTH,
SvenC
Go to Top of Page

Torsten

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - May 05 2005 :  10:15:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks SvenC,

that did the job. Now my VAView is back.
I have to go for a new round of configuring my IDE now ...

-Torsten
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 05 2005 :  5:02:07 PM  Show Profile
*ouch* at least VAView is back again

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked