Ketchup Master

Russia
86 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  03:15:13 AM  Show Profile
When in C++ I declare abstract class like:

__interface ISomething {
   void A();
}

VAssist colors all ISomething as "method" color (in my case is brown), but ISomething is abstract class and must be colored as "classes,stuctures and typedefs" color (in my case is blue).

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  5:32:07 PM  Show Profile
case=638

i had never head of __interface before. i tend to declare my abstract base classes the good old way. interesting to know this idea exists.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

legion

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  09:51:17 AM  Show Profile
feline, when compiling managed classes, .NET won't allow you to define more then one base class, that includes abstract classes (why it can't figure out they are abstract I have no idea). It will however let you use as many base interfaces as you want. Interfaces are classes that have to be totally abstract. If you're not a .NET programmer you'd never have any use for it though, since it's a really horrible limitation in my opinion. I've actually noticed the same thing in my code, but I never thought to raise a case. It would be really nice to fix though. :D
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  3:16:04 PM  Show Profile
*ah* this explains why this is used. it seemed slightly odd, but interesting.

as for .NET not supporting multiple inheritance i have memories of reading Myers comments on multiple inheritance in C++, and i came away with the idea it is a very useful feature when you need it, but also a rather dangerous feature. Microsoft seem to be keen to remove dangerous things from the .NET languages, very noticeable in C#.

i have been bitten often enough by subtle C++ errors to see the wisdom of this, even if i am not always a total fan

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000