New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  12:11:12 PM  Show Profile
I have enabled the options to "Display comments from source files when available", rebuilt symbol database and it works. But after editing a source file (with comments), comments from that file don't appear anymore, you can only see the comment from the class header file instead.

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  5:42:39 PM  Show Profile
i presume you are talking about comments in tooltips when you hover the mouse over class member variables and member functions?

if you grab a couple of screen shots of the tooltips and carefully compare them to the tooltips have different sized borders? i am guessing that they do. if so the problem is that some of the tooltips are from the IDE and some are from VA.

this is a known issue since in vs 2003 there is no way known to turn off the tooltips, so some of the time they come from the IDE and some of the time from VA. the two sources produce different tooltips for the same item.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  04:19:08 AM  Show Profile
Here we go, VC++ 6.0, VA 10.1.1416.

1. Just after installing 1416 (full reparse has finished), member listbox shows the function with the comment from the class header (.h file with declaration), note the word Spec:

2. Open the header (only header!):

3. Go back to the first file, and call the listbox again, now you can see the comment from the source file (.cpp with definition), note the word Body:

4. Open the source filedefinition:

5. Go back the the first file again, call the listbox and we are back to comment from the header file:

And now there is no way to force VA to display comments from the source file. Reparsing source and header files in any order doen't help.

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/

Edited by - Cezariusz on Jun 20 2005 04:21:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  4:22:08 PM  Show Profile
well my first theory was wrong

this is an excellent description. i have set up what should be an equivalent test case in VC6 with 1416, but i cannot reproduce. to be more exact i am always getting the .h comment on my function, and never the .cpp comment. opening and closing files is not making any difference.

i will email support and ask if i am missing something, since my result doesn't make any more sense than yours.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000