Visual Assist Disables DDE?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lamadio

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  6:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Hello,
I just started playing with Visual Assist. I'm having a major problem: VA seems to disable DDE?

I use an external build environment, and don't have project setup. So I "launch" my C++ files from a command window. (Basically just typing the name of the C++ file, and windows uses DDE to open it in visual studio) This worked fine until installing VA: Now nothing happens.

Is this a known bug? Is there a workaround?

Thanks!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  4:09:13 PM  Show Profile
on my winXP pro machine with VS 2003 + VAX 1418 installed "running" cpp or .h files works fine for me.

if i double click on one of these files in windows explorer then it is opened in the IDE, and if the IDE is not open then it loads the IDE and opens the file.

opening a command prompt window (cmd.exe) and running a cpp or .h file has exactly the same effect.

can you check your file associations in windows explorer? certainly the VAX installer should not have had any effect on these.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  6:12:11 PM  Show Profile
You must be using VC6, is that right? If so, yes, VA disables DDE. You can prevent this by creating a registry entry at HKCU\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X
Add a new binary value named AllowDDE
Set it to the value 01

Note that you might start to experience DEVDBG exceptions when starting the IDE once you make this change.
Go to Top of Page

lamadio

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  2:59:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm using VC 2005 beta 2 on an AMD64 with 64 bit Windows. Adding this key does not solve the problem. The only way I can get it working is by uninstalling Visual Assist X :-(

Is this scenario tested?

quote:
Originally posted by sean

You must be using VC6, is that right? If so, yes, VA disables DDE. You can prevent this by creating a registry entry at HKCU\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X
Add a new binary value named AllowDDE
Set it to the value 01

Note that you might start to experience DEVDBG exceptions when starting the IDE once you make this change.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  4:37:11 PM  Show Profile
The key I mentioned only applies to VC6. In VS2002/2003/2005 VA doesn't do anything to deliberately prevent DDE. I am able to repro the problem in vs2005 b2.

case=693
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000