Technical Support
 Autocompletion
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gunvulture

11 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  10:23:17 PM  Show Profile
You guys have an awesome intellisense implementation. I just have one suggestion.

In the options, you allow for any non symbol key to complete. This is great... /except/ for space. A checkbox to disable space in that case would be completely awesome.

Its really frustrating typing something completely out that is right, hitting space to move on, and have it complete to whatever was in the list. This can be worked around by hitting esc, but hey, VA is all about not having to work around things.

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  01:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Totally agree - that would make me turn on that feature again
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  6:00:41 PM  Show Profile
in the interests of understanding why, what sort of things are you typing? i can see how this will help when inserting a type (class name, etc), but it will not help on function calls, etc.

i just have a slight reluctance to suggest adding an option :)

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Jul 28 2005 6:01:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  02:35:14 AM  Show Profile
Well, if I start adding some code in function foo like so:

void foo()
{
int t;
t// now I get a suggestion for true, so when I press <space> because
// I want to type " = 42;" I get a completion of true unless I use
// <esc> to close the suggestion box. Having <space> *not* do the
// completion would save me one <esc>
}

In a world of perfect suggestion list boxes there might be no need for this option but like in the sample above, where "t" might have been in the suggestion list to choose between "t" and "true" but is not, I guess there will always be suggestion boxes where the users intended word is not in the list so that not looking at suggestion boxes and pressing <space> causes a wrong completion.

Bye,
SvenC
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  11:10:09 AM  Show Profile
*experiments* in both C# and VB with VAX disabled space accepts the current suggestion. however you do make a valid case for an option given how keen to make suggestions VAX can be

i will put in a request and see what people make of it.

case=707

Go to Top of Page

ted4412wilt

22 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2005 :  11:58:38 PM  Show Profile
I use Tab to accept the current suggestion to avoid problems with space in C++.

There is a design flaw in Visual Assist that accepts a suggestion and then puts it in front of the existing name instead of replacing that name.
Example. I have PostMessage and I want to change it to SendMessage. I type sen and VA suggests SendMessage I press Tab and I get SendMessagePostMessage

Should be easy fix to delete all contiguous alpha-numeric_ char following the new name. Good idea to limit the number of char deleted to some sane amount in case the user has a really long string for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  3:15:04 PM  Show Profile
this has been debated before, and there is a conflict between inserting new code in front of existing code, and replacing existing code.

in your example how is VAX to know that you are not trying to write:

SendMessage() = PostMessage()

VAX tries to make the correct decision based on guessing what is going on.

Go to Top of Page

ted4412wilt

22 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  4:39:10 PM  Show Profile
In the rare instance where that is the desired result, press = and Home before typing sen.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  03:49:27 AM  Show Profile
We had several discussion over this already.

However, if you want to replace "Post" by "Send", select "Post" and start typing "Send".
You should get a suggestion for "SendMessage" and hopefully you won't end up having "SendMessageMessage" (which is the point where we had those discussions about).

We could convince WT to let VAX "look" at the end of the current word/symbol/name and if the rest of the already existent name is the same as the newly added (like "Message" in both Send- and Postmessage), VAX should replace the whole word.

If you want to have a look at those discussion, do a forum search for "TeddyBear" where you'll find a thread lasting over a few pages.

Go to Top of Page

gunvulture

11 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  2:48:06 PM  Show Profile
Just to make the aforementioned example more poignant, take the case that caused me to post

for (int i = 0; i < ...

The second i was getting autocompleted to "int". This /extremely/ common usage pattern drove me so batty I turned off the "other symbol" auotcomplete.

However SvenC makes a good point -- in the idea world i would already be in the complete list.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  2:33:07 PM  Show Profile
i can see how this would be a problem. it is recommended that you have accept on any symbol not valid in a symbol turned off, and personally i could not work with it turned on. VAX's suggestions are often very good, but there are always times when it does not know what i am up to.

taking a different approach to this, you could always create an autotext rule, something like:

for:
for(int i = 0; i < -?; i++) {
}

the strange characters may or may not post correctly, but this is a straight copy and paste from my cpp.tpl file.

Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  8:37:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
...but there are always times when it does not know what i am up to.

Heck, there are times when I don't know what I'm up to!!

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

SvenC
Tomato Guru

Germany
339 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  05:52:17 AM  Show Profile
We definitely need intellisense based on electromagnetic wave patterns sent out from some dark region of our brain during this phase of "hmm, I am going to build this crazy cool piece of software but I've no idea what, why and for whom it is going to be". Should not be too difficult for VAX 13, should it?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  12:36:27 PM  Show Profile
personally i have been trying to resist the urge to put in a case called "make VAX read my mind" for several months now

i mean, i know what i am doing (well, for the most part), and just because the new code does not look anything like the existing code is no reason why VAX should not correctly guess the new variable names i am about to use. it actually gets quite close some of the time, we just need to close the gap

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000