AutoComplete and AutoText for different file types
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phyman

9 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  12:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I can get AutoComplete and AutoText to work with file types other than the defaults. The "new" file type is basically a C source file with the ".vks" extension. I have read this link: http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#extension, which thankfully takes care of the syntax coloring and allowing templates to be used, but I can't seem to find a way to enable the rest of the VAX functionality. I even tried simply copying the template file Cpp.tpl and renaming it to Vks.tpl in hopes that this would work, however it did not. Is this even possible? Any help would be much appreciated!

-Paul

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  7:52:08 PM  Show Profile
What IDE are you using?

You wrote that templates can be used - do you mean the VA templates as defined in the tpl files?

Renaming cpp.tpl to anything will not accomplish what you want. If tpl templates are working, then you don't want to rename it.

It sounds like you just aren't getting suggestion listboxes - is that right?

Are member listboxes working (as in structFoo.<listbox>)?
Go to Top of Page

phyman

9 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  2:38:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi and thanks for your reply,

I am not getting the code suggestion listboxes nor am I getting the auto complete suggestions that are listed in the tpl files, i.e. when I type "///" I should get the line (or the suggestion) of:
"//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////"

I can use the VA templates (the ones defined in the tpl files, found by selecting G?Insert code templateG?), by invoking the list via a right click on the margin or using a mapped keyboard command, and they seem to work fine, but the auto complete that I have so grown to love while using VA in VS6 with C++ code, does not occur.

I am less concerned about the code suggestion list boxes (but it would be great if it worked) and more concerned with getting the auto complete templates in the tpl file to become active. Also, member listboxes are not active in the G?.vksG? files.

I absolutely love VA and I hope there is someway to get this to work!

Here are my specs:

From VS:

VS 2003 v 7.1.3088
.NET framework 1.1 v1.1.4322 SP1

Here's my info from VAX:

VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1418.0 built 2005.06.24
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.2304.0
Font: Terminal 15(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

-Paul

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  5:07:26 PM  Show Profile
I've just confirmed that the instructions in our FAQ work using vs2003 and va1418. It is possible that whatever application you are using that uses the .vks extension has modified other IDE settings. Try searching the VS2003 registry for vks and see if it turns up anywhere.

Another possibility is that a syntax problem in the vks files is breaking VA.

How different from c files are vks files?
Is the VA coloring working properly throughout the files?
Does the information that VA displays in the context and definition windows look correct throughout the file?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  8:24:19 PM  Show Profile
Make sure that you added ".vks;" (with the dot and the semicolon) when you modified HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Whole Tomato/Visual Assist X/VANet/ExtSource.
Go to Top of Page

phyman

9 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  12:56:41 PM  Show Profile
OMG. That seemed to work! And today is the last day of the free trial! Nicely done, you just saved a sale! I could have sworn I put that entry in the registry, I don't know why it didn't stick, oh well. My humble apologies for overlooking the detail and thanks for all the help. For completeness and to answer you syntax question, the syntax is a bit strange, but only in the fact that it is more restrictive in syntax, not looser. You could put a block of this code into a C file and run it if needed. VA seems to have no problems with it! I would love to put in a sample to demonstrate but the usually NDA yada, yada, prevents me from doing so. The coloring looked fine throughout the file too, which is way the problem was confusing and the context and definition windows were only working the regular "C" files, not the .vks files. No it all works! Fantastic! Thanks again!

-Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000