Technical Support
 WinDBG issue.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

magtag12345

5 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  6:57:49 PM  Show Profile
I have a ligitmate copy of VA X, .Net 2003 running on an XP SP2 box. It has been running for an year without any problem. I have installed WinDebug (target) on this machine, now VA refueses to load if this machine is booted with debug enabled. While starting the Visual Studio .Net, it comes up with a messabe box "Key Required" with the message "This program requires a security key. If you have one, select OK to enter it. After entering a valid key, you will not be prompted again.". It does *not* accept the licence key that I have! It runs fine if I disable the debug during boot, I can also verify the license information from the about box.

Does this mean that I can't use both VA and WinDBG? Other threads in this forum state that a "licenced version of VA X should work fine" with SofICE. Why hate WinDBG and WinDBG user then? I don't get it. Anyway way, is there a workaround available for this?

I have VA X build 1301, which is the most recent build that acepts my key (my licence expired prior to 2005.06.18).

Is this about help protect against crackers? Why would any one take the painful debugging approach while static disassemblers like IDA, Olldbg are there to make their life easier?

magtag12345

5 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  7:01:36 PM  Show Profile
I did not intend to post multiple copies of the same issue. But using firefox to post topic end with the following error message "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e09'

[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver][mysqld-4.0.24-log]You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' F_LAST_POST_REPL(

/forum/post_info.asp, line 934"

I thought that the posting didnt go through and thus reposted. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  02:31:33 AM  Show Profile
Hello magtag12345,

As a writer (starter) of a topic, the topic can be erased, by erasing your message (this can be either done by yourself or by a moderator). This only works when all the messages of the topic are erased (so if someone else posts a message, only a moderator could do it).

If you have the list with all the topic, click on your topic and then you can delete your own message.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  02:45:08 AM  Show Profile
Are you trying to install a version later than 1301?

We changed the license-policy while moving on to Version 14xx, see this thread.

In order to get the newest versions/bugfixes, you'd need to purchase a new license, which will give you another year of free updates/new features.

Go to Top of Page

magtag12345

5 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2005 :  12:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Hello WannabeeDeveloper,
Are you saying that the latest version say 1418 contains the fix? What is your point then? I understand that you have changed the licensing policy but what has it to do with this issue?

BTW, what is the "Security key" that the maessage box as asking about?
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  09:29:59 AM  Show Profile
You say that WinDBG causes this Nag-Screen with the expired license.

I say: No, your license is just not valid for Builds 14xx but only 1301 (which, you say, works fine with your key).
Are you getting the Dialog-Box asking for a valid key in 1301 or later builds?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  09:43:28 AM  Show Profile
people seem to be talking at cross purposes

WannabeeDeveloper magtag12345 seems to be running 1301 with a valid 1301 key just fine, until the debugger is installed, so 14xx is not an issue.

magtag12345 the error you are getting is not one i recognise. can you email your licence key information to [email protected] just so they can confirm it? please reference this thread in the email. if you were using the 14xx builds then support are able to to provide you with a build that works with system debuggers, so i am hoping the same applies to VAX 1301

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

magtag12345

5 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  3:26:40 PM  Show Profile
I am running VAX 1301 only. No other builds were tried as the download page clearly states that "If you have a license for Visual Assist X and your support expired prior to 2005.06.18, you can run the following build without renewing support." I can also confirm the build number and acceptance of the license key by booting the machine without WinDBG and then visiting the About tab of the VAX options page. I am getting this "Key Required" message box with VAX 1301.

YES, I am going to write an email to support with my license information.

At the same time, can any one tell us what exactly the "Security Key" is all about?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  7:14:21 PM  Show Profile
You might consider a "security key" to be a special type of activation key for our software.
Go to Top of Page

magtag12345

5 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  12:44:46 PM  Show Profile
OK, I would expect wholetomato to supply all the necessary keys when a purchase has been made. How can I obtain this special key anyway?
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  6:24:26 PM  Show Profile
We didn't describe the "security key" well. It's not something we can distribute. It's really just an error from our protection scheme that says you can't do what you're trying to do.

We apologize for the confusion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000