Technical Support
 Namespaces And Suggestion Acceptance
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ben Clayton

4 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  08:15:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello, I'm experiencing a couple of issues with VAX since updating to version 1418.

The first issue I have is that the suggestion listbox contains every single class and struct inside a namespace, when I only need to know about the class's member functions and variables.

For example:
MyNameSpace::MyClass::PTR somePtr;
somePtr->//This suggestion box will have every class and structure inside MyNameSpace, and also the member functions and variables for MyNameSpace::MyClass

PTR is defined as:
typedef Com::Ptr<MyClass> PTR;

And Com::Ptr is a standard smart pointer with a operator-> that returns a pointer of the templated data type.

My second issue is with suggestion list acceptance. In the VAX options dialog (Text Editor->Suggestions) I have 'Tab' and 'Any character not valid in a symbol' unticked, yet, using the open bracket key '(' will always replace what I have typed with the currently highlighted item in the suggestion box. I find this extremly frustrating as I've typed out the whole function name and simply want to begin adding the parameters.

Cheers.
Ben Clayton.

Copy info:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1418.0 built 2005.06.24
Licensed to:
VA X: @qubesoft.com (1-user license) Support ends 2006.09.07
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\AliasWavefront\\Maya5.0\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (June 2005)\\Include;
C:\\src\\trunk\\Q;
C:\\src\\trunk\\Q\\build\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

Edit: Took out email address to stop bots picking up the address.

Edited by - Ben Clayton on Sep 16 2005 08:17:27 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  2:56:17 PM  Show Profile
are these problems new with 1418? if so, which version of VA were you using before? are you in a position to try the current beta 1422?

MyNameSpace::MyClass::PTR somePtr;
somePtr->

with this problem, is this a completion listbox (comes up with CTRL-SPACE, can be filtered by hovering over it) or a suggestion listbox (question mark icons) ?

if you hover the mouse over "somePtr" what do you get in VAView, and how correct is it?

text being replaced on suggestion lists, is this in all contexts? or is this related to the smart pointer class above? i cannot reproduce this problem here.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Ben Clayton

4 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  11:22:25 AM  Show Profile
This is a completion listbox. Here's an image of the problem:

activated, addRef and beginOverlap are all member functions of QScene::Node.
Animation, Application, Attribute, AttributeBinding, AttributeListener, AttributeProvider and Audio are all structs inside the QScene namespace.

As for hovering the mouse over the pointer:

As for text that's being replaced, it's happening in all contexts.
Here I'm typing a function that isn't recognised by VA:

foo() is not a member function of QScene::Node, and suggests a struct inside QScene (another example of the first problem.)
Pressing '(' to start adding the parameters immediatly picks the highlighted item, replacing 'foo' with 'FontCreator':

I have not yet tried the beta, but I'll try installing it now and post if any of these issues are resumed.
Thanks,
Ben Clayton.
Go to Top of Page

Ben Clayton

4 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  11:56:15 AM  Show Profile
I've installed the Beta, and the Namespace problem seems to be resolved.
Unfortunately the text replacement problem is still there. It is acting exactly the same way as described above.
Cheers,
Ben Clayton
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  09:29:39 AM  Show Profile
I get the 2nd problem every now and again. Terribly annoying! Maybe it's related to this?

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3874

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  3:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Ben this is good news on the name space problem

with this replace problem, does it only happen with certain types, or in all cases? in the screen shot you are typing an unknown function, do you only get this problem with unknown functions? that at least would make sense.

Tom, any light you can shed on this? when you are getting this does it appear to be related to the case of the text, as in thread 3874, or not?

using VS 2003 and VA 1422 with C++ i have accept suggestions with tab and enter turned on, and any character turned off.

for listboxes (options -> text editor -> listboxes) i have everything except "default intellisense) turned on.

typing the code:

QSettings settings;
settings.foo|

where there is no function QSettings::foo(), and i am getting a completion listbox suggesting QSettings::FormatError (an enum) typing '(' does not accept the item.

i have also tried:

settings.bar|

which gave two function suggestions in the completion listbox, and still '(' does not accept them.

if this was broad ranging i would expect one of these two tests to reproduce the problem. Ben, is this problem limited to one solution?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000