New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  1:54:21 PM  Show Profile
While i think that none of the following problems is really new, a few of them seem to be reintroduced.

1) the FiW droplist does syntax coloring of filenames
2) The SiW droplist has the usual problems when a symbol is wider than the window, thus abbreviated with an ellipsis. The color is then changed to anything.
3) the HCB takes ages to show anything about the symbol under the cursor. Best case ~2 sec.
4) the tooltips of the HCB are NOT syntax colored
5) I have once more the problem of duplicate (triplicate, ...) items in the HCB (remember my load of bugreports about that one? still here)
6) the tooltips of items in the history list are randomly syntax colored. #defines are usually fine, functions are colored but not the keywords in it (or they are just colored wrong), class definitions are not.
7) when enums are shown the tooltips are messed up a bit: it shows the keyword enum, then the enum name, then without a space the member.
8) various problems with operators in the HCB, e.g:
	template<class _Ty>
		class VAiterator : public std::vector::iterator{
		typedef VAiterator<_Ty> iterator;
		_Ty m_tst2;
		_Ty operator->();
		_Ty operator[]();
		_Ty* operator*();
		//		VAiterator _Inc();
		//		VAiterator _Dec();
	};

then the HCB shows
operator * operator * ()

9) the symbol shown for the item in the HCB is not constant. Depending on the location inside the code of a class, the icon changes from class to member for example, without changing the contents of the HCB.
10) I'd like to know why the edit field of the HCB is readonly? Would be extremly useful to be able to type in that field to get the info about the symbol typed.
Using VS2003.net still.

Edited by - Uniwares on Sep 24 2005 2:08:34 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  4:49:04 PM  Show Profile
1) i cannot reproduce this with 1423. the closest i can get is that code files are black and non code files (.bmp , .txt) are grey

2) i believe the colour problem is covered by

case=48

3) i have noticed this myself. i am guessing it is an attempt to avoid unnecessary updates to the HCB as you move the mouse across the screen over the code. re-checking this now the delay before the HCB is updated seems to be the same as the delay before the tooltip in the code is shown. are you getting the tooltip first and then a further delay before the HCB updates?

also covered by

case=62

4) for me some tooltips are syntax highlighted, but some are not

case=776

5) this is

case=209

and we are expecting a fix for this in VA 1424

6) confirmed

case=777

7) this is fixed in 1423, assuming you are hovering over enum's in the source code.

8) this seems to be fixed in 1423, although i am still getting the duplicate operator items (covered by point 5)

9) i am not having any luck reproducing this one. do you have a simple example that reproduces this? or any clues on how to go about reproducing this?

10) i asked the same question myself ages ago. since i cannot find a case for this one i have entered one

case=778

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  6:56:22 PM  Show Profile
4) Assumes coloring of tooltips is enabled.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  7:36:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

4) Assumes coloring of tooltips is enabled.

Yep, of course
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  8:22:44 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

1) i cannot reproduce this with 1423. the closest i can get is that code files are black and non code files (.bmp , .txt) are grey

Should have looked closer: it affects (as far as I can see here) only .rgs, .mc and .avi files. Anyway I'm not going into testing which file extensions might yet need to be included or not, I rather think that there should be better way to determine coloring than the pure extension.

quote:
2) i believe the colour problem is covered by case=48

Cant find any reference to #48 !???

quote:
3) i have noticed this myself. i am guessing it is an attempt to avoid unnecessary updates to the HCB as you move the mouse across the screen over the code. re-checking this now the delay before the HCB is updated seems to be the same as the delay before the tooltip in the code is shown. are you getting the tooltip first and then a further delay before the HCB updates?

also covered by case=62

1423 seems to be faster but still, first tooltip and then HCB update.

quote:
4) for me some tooltips are syntax highlighted, but some are not - case=776

As i can see here, in general the comments are colored wrongly always. SOME items have partially colored tooltips

quote:
7) this is fixed in 1423, assuming you are hovering over enum's in the source code.

Yep, fixed. Although comments of enums are black. Side question: is there any way (planned) to make enums appear sorted OR in order of declaration? Sorted is nice but often a bit confusing when you have longer lists.

quote:
8) this seems to be fixed in 1423, although i am still getting the duplicate operator items (covered by point 5)

Yes, looks definitely better in 1423. Almost there... Although "operator ~CSomeClass()" needs still some tweaking.

quote:
9) i am not having any luck reproducing this one. do you have a simple example that reproduces this? or any clues on how to go about reproducing this?

Happens for me when I am inside a .h file containing a class declaration. Editing the class shows the icon class member, hovering over any member of the class switches to class icon (see shots below)

quote:
10) i asked the same question myself ages ago. since i cannot find a case for this one i have entered one - case=778

I'd love to see that feature - on-the-fly class browser

Ok, here are various shots of "weird" things.

This one is very nice: FLUSH_TIME is a define used as a parameter to a template class

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  11:32:46 AM  Show Profile
1) i am still not able to reproduce this, using VS 2003 and VA 1423

2) this is the only thread referenced by case 48, so i suspect it came up in internal testing and you are the first person to report it on the forum. it is describing two items, one function and one #define, both shown in the same colour when truncated.

7) using the test enum:

enum counting { ONE = 1, TWO, THREE, FOUR }; // this is a test enum, to check out VA tooltips

in a class definition, when i hover over TWO in the code:

int i = TWO;

i am seeing the comment correctly coloured in the tooltip. do you have an example enum that shows this problem i can try?

when you ask about the sorting of enum's, where are you looking at the list? in the HCB? or in a completion listbox? or somewhere else?

8) we are expecting a fix to "operator ~CSomeClass()" in VA 1424

9) got it. alternatively hovering over a function, and clicking in some white space change the icon back and forward

case=781

turning to the screen shots, i have added the code:

typedef struct SIMPLEIPSTATS2
{
    int    ip_number;
    int    count;
};

typedef std::vector<SIMPLEIPSTATS2>    vecIPStat2;
typedef vecIPStat2::iterator           vecIPStat2I;
typedef vecIPStat2::const_iterator     vecIPStat2CI;

to a .h file, and when i hover the mouse over std::vector i get the correct tooltip. i am guessing this is somehow context sensitive. do you have a relatively small code sample that reproduces this effect?

again do you have some sample code for the FLUSH_TIME screen shot that you can post? i am not sure where to start trying to reproduce this.

how have you produced all these duplicate enums? i don't think i have ever seen that effect before.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  1:21:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:

1) i am still not able to reproduce this, using VS 2003 and VA 1423

The filename has to match a symbol defined somewhere in the workspace, then its colored in blue.

quote:
2) this is the only thread referenced by case 48, so i suspect it came up in internal testing and you are the first person to report it on the forum. it is describing two items, one function and one #define, both shown in the same colour when truncated.

So you probably mean what happens in the SiW dialog too? Same effect there. Symbols which are truncated because the column is too small are colored differently. I've reported that already in, hmm, must have been around the year 1951 or so.

quote:
7) using the test enum:

enum counting { ONE = 1, TWO, THREE, FOUR }; // this is a test enum, to check out VA tooltips...

simple:
enum counting
{
  ONE,    // first item
  TWO,    // second item
  THREE,  // etc., etc...
};

quote:
when you ask about the sorting of enum's, where are you looking at the list? in the HCB? or in a completion listbox? or somewhere else?

HCB only.

quote:

turning to the screen shots, i have added the code:

typedef struct SIMPLEIPSTATS2
{
    int    ip_number;
    int    count;
};

typedef std::vector<SIMPLEIPSTATS2>    vecIPStat2;
typedef vecIPStat2::iterator           vecIPStat2I;
typedef vecIPStat2::const_iterator     vecIPStat2CI;

to a .h file, and when i hover the mouse over std::vector i get the correct tooltip. i am guessing this is somehow context sensitive. do you have a relatively small code sample that reproduces this effect?

Not really. Actually never seen that before 1423. I am no longer using STLport, so its not that either.

quote:
again do you have some sample code for the FLUSH_TIME screen shot that you can post? i am not sure where to start trying to reproduce this.

Short? No. But it goes something like this:

// file1.h
#ifdef _DEBUG
#define FLUSH_TIME	(1 *60*1000)
#else
#define FLUSH_TIME	(30 *60*1000)
#endif // _DEBUG

template <class T, int nTime=FLUSH_TIME> class CPeriodicalySave
{
 //... some functions here
};

// file2.h
#include <file1.h>
#undef FLUSH_TIME
#ifdef _DEBUG
#  define FLUSH_TIME	(1 MINUTES)
#else
#  define FLUSH_TIME	(5 MINUTES)
#endif // _DEBUG

class CStatisticsManager : public CPeriodicalySave<CStatisticsManager, FLUSH_TIME>
{
public:
	explicit CStatisticsManager();
	~CStatisticsManager(void);

void			DelayedInit();
	void			Unload();

void			AddIP(const SIPStatistics& ip);
	void			Flush();
	void			IPLog(SIP_CODE code, u_long ip, __int32 id, LPBYTE pData, size_t len);

//... some more functions here
};

quote:
how have you produced all these duplicate enums? i don't think i have ever seen that effect before.

I have that effect since the HCB exists and have reported it various times. Just lookup "duplicate items HCB" posted by me.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  6:19:56 PM  Show Profile
1) got it now. for me this is random, with the colouring of the filename changing with updates to this history list, but it is easy enough to reproduce

case=783

2) yes, it also lists the FSIW dialog. strangely enough i had never noticed that effect myself. as for how long ago you reported this, i am guessing that support are concerned you will have nothing to post if all of the bugs are fixed instantly

7) i am having some fun with enum comments. are you seeing the comments correctly coloured when hovering over an enum being used in the code? for me the comments are black hovering over the HCB and in completion listbox tooltips.

your suggestion for ordering of enum's has been noted

case=626

so far i cannot recreate the FLUSH_TIME problem with the code you have posted here. would you be willing to email me the code files involved for testing? or are they confidential?

on the duplicate enum's i have a couple of threads, i will have a look and see what i can reproduce.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  8:56:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:

as for how long ago you reported this, i am guessing that support are concerned you will have nothing to post if all of the bugs are fixed instantly

Dont worry about that. The day I dont find any new bugs I'll retire, promissed.

quote:
7) i am having some fun with enum comments. are you seeing the comments correctly coloured when hovering over an enum being used in the code? for me the comments are black hovering over the HCB and in completion listbox tooltips.[quote]

Its colored correctly everywhere, except the HCB tooltips.

[quote]on the duplicate enum's i have a couple of threads, i will have a look and see what i can reproduce.

I suppose its related to the same file being present in multiple folders in multiple projects in the same solution. I think I've already described it but here we go:

C:\\Solution1
   \\Project1\\File1.h   {contains class C1 declaration}
   \\Project1\\File1.cpp {contains class C1 definition}
   \\Project2\\File1.h   {same as above, its a shared file from VSS}
   \\Project2\\File1.cpp {same as above, its a shared file from VSS}
   \\Project3\\File1.cpp {same as in Project2}
   \\Include\\File1.h    {again shared file}

This is the result of a yet unresolved dependencies and old code. Not nice, but actually pretty common. And there I see the duplicate symbols coming from probably.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  3:39:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Uniwares
Dont worry about that. The day I dont find any new bugs I'll retire, promissed.

it seems i am in good company then

you should see some of the bug reports i produce for software i use, including VA

as for the duplicate entries in the HCB, we are now hoping for a fix in 1425, since i have found a reproducible case for duplicate "operator =" functions. still no luck producing the duplicate enum items though.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  3:39:27 PM  Show Profile
Comparing with 1426 now:

quote:
Originally posted by Uniwares

Seems ok.

quote:
2) The SiW droplist has the usual problems when a symbol is wider than the window, thus abbreviated with an ellipsis. The color is then changed to anything.

This bug is fixed (although not in the SiW Dialog), but another bug crept up: entries are often not colored at all, or partially wrongly colored (black mostly).

quote:
4) the tooltips of the HCB are NOT syntax colored

They are, although mostly wrong.

quote:
5) I have once more the problem of duplicate (triplicate, ...) items in the HCB (remember my load of bugreports about that one? still here)

Still here, no improvement.

quote:
6) the tooltips of items in the history list are randomly syntax colored. #defines are usually fine, functions are colored but not the keywords in it (or they are just colored wrong), class definitions are not.

Uhm, have a look at this shot:

quote:
7) when enums are shown the tooltips are messed up a bit: it shows the keyword enum, then the enum name, then without a space the member.

For whatever reason the keyword enum is no longer colored in the tooltips of the HCB. Comments neither.

quote:
8) various problems with operators in the HCB, e.g:

?????

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  2:50:33 PM  Show Profile

this looks fixed for me as well

2) i am seeing the same things, so i have updated the case.

4) interesting. for me it seems fairly random, some tooltips are highlighted and some are not, just as before. however when tooltips are highlighted it seems correct, apart from the fact that comments never seem to be highlighted correctly.

5) in my test workspace there has been some improvement in 1426 but the duplicates are still there for me as well. i have updated the case.

6) i have attached the screen shot to the case. i am not seeing anything that extreme here.

7) i think we need to wait for some progress to be made on colouring of HCB tooltips

8) any chance of a code snippet that reproduces that? at a guess pairString is something like:

typedef std::pair<std::string, std::string> pairString;

but it would be easier if you could tell me how you produced this

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  3:19:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:

8) any chance of a code snippet that reproduces that? at a guess pairString is something like:

but it would be easier if you could tell me how you produced this

You got it exactly right. Just hovering over a variable of type vecPairString brings up that mess in the HCB.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  6:26:01 PM  Show Profile
i was actually able to get a single book icon and empty angle brackets with the simpler line of code:

std::pair<int, int> pairNumbers;

using the full blown

typedef std::vector<pairString> vectorPairString;

got me lots of them. i know how VA feels trying to read the STL source code

case=826

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  8:03:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:

I know how VA feels trying to read the STL source code

Hey, its not that bad. Unless you dont know about templates in all their details.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  2:51:17 PM  Show Profile
i know enough about templates to use them, and to create basic template classes that work correctly. however some of the STL source code that i have read is definitely much more complex than the template code i write

then again, i don't do much with templates in C

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000