New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  10:12:10 PM  Show Profile
I am having some serious troubles with the changes to the way the curly brackets are inserted now.

1) press { shift-home del - you end up with the closing bracket deleted, instead of only the empty inserted line

2)
if(...)
|   if(somethingelse)
    {
    }
Insert a { at the cursor location and VAX will insert opening and closing bracket plus the empty line.

I really prefer the "old" way of inserting it.

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  10:23:38 AM  Show Profile
Another thing I noticed right now:
char** xyz = {|};

Pressing enter now, will break the line, indent the caret position and put the closing bracket at the next line. Thats somewhat too much. Besides, pressing Backspace now will do ... nothing ... the backspace gets eaten up.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  3:33:35 PM  Show Profile
point 1 - i have noticed the same thing and it also irritates me

case=804

point 2 - perhaps i am doing something differently to you, but i cannot reproduce this. using the code:

if(1 < 2)
    |   if(3 != 4)
        {
        }

all indented with tabs. if i insert { where the caret is, i only get one bracket. no closing bracket is inserted.

the final point, what is happening seems reasonable to me. in 1418 you just got the single new line you were expecting, but if you have pressed enter is it not reasonable that you are going to start typing more code?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  3:42:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by feline

point 1 - i have noticed the same thing and it also irritates me

case=804

point 2 - perhaps i am doing something differently to you, but i cannot reproduce this. using the code:

if(1 < 2)
    |   if(3 != 4)
        {
        }

all indented with tabs. if i insert { where the caret is, i only get one bracket. no closing bracket is inserted.

the final point, what is happening seems reasonable to me. in 1418 you just got the single new line you were expecting, but if you have pressed enter is it not reasonable that you are going to start typing more code?

Depends on what you are doing. New code, yes, reasonable. Maintenance, no, unlikely.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  2:12:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:

if(1 < 2)
    |   if(3 != 4)
        {
        }

Reproducible all the time. Inserting a opening bracket in the middle of a line, before the text, always inserts the opening/closing/empty line combination. Independent of tabs or spaces, as long as there is at least whitespace between the caret and the following text.
Go to Top of Page

Wrongway
Tomato Guru

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  6:41:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm using the 1424 build and I'm not getting the closing paran when I type:

if( <what ever> ) {
} <-- should be entered and isn't.

or:

else {
} <-- Missing in Action!

Using 2003 .Net

Wrongway

Edited by - Wrongway on Oct 04 2005 6:52:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  6:45:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Uniwares

char** xyz = {|};

Pressing enter now, will break the line, indent the caret position and put the closing bracket at the next line. Thats somewhat too much. Besides, pressing Backspace now will do ... nothing ... the backspace gets eaten up.

Same thing with ( ), Del/Backspace is eaten.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  7:02:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:

char** xyz = {|};

yep, same thing here

case=810

however when you say "Same thing with ( ), Del/Backspace is eaten." i cannot reproduce this. i am starting with:

foo(|);

pressing enter to split the brackets onto separate lines, and then pressing either backspace or delete. it works first time. am i testing the same thing you are doing?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  7:12:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

if(1 < 2)
    |  if(3 != 4)
        {
        }

Reproducible all the time. Inserting a opening bracket in the middle of a line, before the text, always inserts the opening/closing/empty line combination. Independent of tabs or spaces, as long as there is at least whitespace between the caret and the following text.

*sigh* two different solutions, i just cannot reproduce this. the closest i can get is the situation:

if(nFrom == -1) {
|    printf("Unable to open file {%s} for reading, so cannot copy and mark", pszFrom);
    return 2;
}

if i type { here then i see what you are seeing, but this makes sense because the brackets already match. does this happen in a basic test project? i am wondering if there is something in your code that is confusing VA's sense of where it is. does the content of the definition and context fields seem correct?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  7:19:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Wrongway

I'm using the 1424 build and I'm not getting the closing paran when I type:

can you check your settings for inserting brackets? i cannot reproduce this. is there anything "odd" about your system that might explain this?

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  7:22:35 PM  Show Profile
Seems all correct. Also its not dependent on a special file or location. Happens just about anywhere it seems.

That thing with the brackets... try this:

if((varA == y) || | (varB & x))
now insert a opening bracket (note the space before and after), VAX will insert a closing bracket (correctly) but the first del/bksp is eaten.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  7:52:00 PM  Show Profile
*sigh* i tried this, and it i still cannot reproduce. in case the unknown variables are relevant i used the code:

int varA = 0, varB = 0;
int y = 1, x = 1;
if((varA == y) || | (varB & x))
{
}

typing ( gives me

if((varA == y) || (|) (varB & x))

is this the same as you? are you using a localised IDE / windows / keyboard layout? i am now starting to grasp at straws.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2005 :  7:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Well, it gives me the very same result. Nothing wrong with that... except that you have to press del/bksp twice when you want to get rid of the closing bracket.

Its the handling of bksp/del which is flawed.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  5:35:14 PM  Show Profile
except that when i press backspace once, or delete once the auto inserted closing bracket is removed.

i can reproduce the flawed handling of backspace / delete in one situation, but not in this situation. i have updated case 810 with this second example, and asked the developers to see if they can find the bug. hopefully one fix with cure both problems.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2005 :  5:54:40 PM  Show Profile
woohoo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly