Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2003 :  04:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I want to ask if it's possible to change something in the behaviour of the m_-mechanism.

During a definition of a variable, when one presses "m" and shift a underscore shows up. The layout of the variable names in our company is m_SomeVariable, so when I see "m_" I keep my shift pressed and type "SomeVariable", but then the underscore is overwritten. I have to release the shift-key, and the press it again. So to type "m_SomeVariable" takes me 16 keystrokes either way. When I type the underscore myself I will press 2 times the shift key (I hold the first shift for two characters) and 14 keystrokes to type the characters. Using the automatic placement of the underscore, I will press shift 3 times (the first to get the underscore, the second to make the following character a capital one) and 13 keystrokes to type the rest of the characters.

When typing m, shift-s, would result in "m_S", it would save a key-stroke. (One deviation on the rule would be if someone presses an underscore as second character, then the automatically placed underscore should be remove. - in my opinion.)

If someone want a different style, like mSomeVariable, he/she should disable the option of inserting the underscore.

Does anyone have a different opinion or does someone agree?

I hope the team of WholeTomato is willing to change it, if they see it's appropriate. Thank you in advance.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2003 :  06:57:32 AM  Show Profile
I think I disagree, though I'm not completely sure. I don't think I've ever used mSomeVariable. I just anticipate that if I ever did want mSomeVariable (which looks like it could be Hungarian notation for something), I don't want to have to go back and delete all the underscores, or alternatively lose the (excellent) m_ feature.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2003 :  07:01:10 AM  Show Profile
PS You might get a wider set of opinions from the "Suggestions and Ideas" forum, as this is not a VA X issue.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000