Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2003 :  2:42:26 PM  Show Profile
While using vector<SomeClass> I discovered the follwing:

I have a declaration of vector<SomeClass> vsc;, when I use vsc.begin() and hover the mouse over begin, VA shows me a tooltip containing a reference to a completly unrelated class, which happens to implement begin() and end() too. This class is also shown in the hovering browser.

Strange also, that VAX does not more show the completion list for STL classes when typing . or ->, but Ctrl+Space brings up the completion list. Not that it would contain all that is relevant, but at least it shows some symbols.

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2003 :  3:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Lol, Uniwares strikes back. Give WholeTomato guys a brake - they do need some sleep as well . Where are other beta testers - please give them a chance to report something.

Just kidding

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2003 :  3:43:14 PM  Show Profile
And you dont even see the ones I report by mail

But hey, since I dont have a chance to get some sleep why should anybody else?

It would be really nice to read a bit more from others too. At least confirmations or neglections.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  06:05:34 AM  Show Profile
I haven't tried it out yet. I want to help, but I can't afford a not-quite-right IDE at the moment, so I was hoping to wait until some of the more obvious bugs had been fixed.

I guess Uniwares has scared me a bit. What is the general impression of the current beta? Is it basically right unless you do really weird stuff, or is it noticeably rough round the edges?

Also, is there any schedule yet for how long the beta will last?

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  06:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'd love to help, but we're still trying to get it to install for me. Just for laughs, I installed it at home, and it went fine. Running WinXP on both, and danged if I can figure out what the problem is...

The bad part is, if I ever do get it installed, I'll be pretty much useless as a Beta tester now. If I see something wrong, there's a 99% chance someone has already reported it, so do I report it and waste everyone's time, or try to wade through the hundreds of bug reports posted so far to see if it's a new bug? Neither is especially appealing...

If you can't tell, I've been up all night, and feeling cranky...

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  07:44:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen

I guess Uniwares has scared me a bit. What is the general impression of the current beta? Is it basically right unless you do really weird stuff, or is it noticeably rough round the edges?

Sorry for that. No, it runs really smooth. Nothing that would hinder you in doing productive work. I had one crash so far, but that seems not even be related to VA. Otherwise, pretty much all that worked in VA6 works now too. If you look closely at the bugs reported, most of them are related to either the hovering browser (which you dont need to have active) or the cosmetics of tooltips and syntax coloring.
I would recommend that you give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  07:47:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

Well, I'd love to help, but we're still trying to get it to install for me. Just for laughs, I installed it at home, and it went fine. Running WinXP on both, and danged if I can figure out what the problem is...

Just to give you hope - did you by any chance try running the installer while running XP in safe mode? That removes many of the possible conflicts with other software (AV, etc).
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  08:02:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the idea, but we tried that. The weird thing is that I get the exact same error message if I open a DOS box and say REGSVR32 VA_X.DLL, so it's something to do with registering that DLL... they're still working on it, last I heard, so keep your fingers crossed...
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  09:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so what about exporting the registry key on your XP box that works and importing them into the one that doesnt? I know that does not solve the installation problem, but it might help to get you up and running
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2003 :  09:49:32 AM  Show Profile
That's a good idea... I'll see if they make any progress first, though... hate to confound their debugging efforts...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  8:31:09 PM  Show Profile
i have added a new cpp file to a test project. the entire file is:

#include <vector>
#include <string>

void test_func()
{
    string strTest;
    vector<string> vsc;

vsc.begin();
}

hovering the mouse over begin() shows me std.vector<string> in the HCB. however, that is it, no members, no functions, nothing

hovering over vsc in the vsc.begin() line shows me vector<string> in the HCB, again no members or functions.

in contrast, if i hover the cursor over vector i get a list of the class member functions.

as if this wasn't enough, i get a different definition of string in the HCB if i hover over string or strText on the string strTest; line.

VAX has had a good 5 minutes while i double check this, so leaving it to reparse the file isn't helping.

using VS .NET 2002 and VAX 1246

case=201

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  1:56:04 PM  Show Profile
You gotta try the same with STLport (http://www.stlport.org) instead of the standard STL that comes with VC. Far funnier results, as it is not as plain as the default STL.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000