New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmihalicza
Ketchup Master

Hungary
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  3:25:13 PM  Show Profile
In Metrowerks CodeWarrior double click in editor window selects the actual scope or grouping (I mean normal parenthesis here, not the folding)
Some examples (%x% denotes the place of double click, << and >> the selection) :
void f(<<int myparam%x%, long>>)
void f(int myparam, long) {<<
   ++%x%myParam;
>>}

It is very useful for quick checking of grouping errors, especially when there is a nested structure that doesn't fit the document window (making paren highlight useless).

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18726 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  4:31:46 PM  Show Profile
don't you get problems with accidental double clicks and then loosing a whole block of code if you touch the keyboard? is this an optional behaviour in CodeWarrior?

given how you are using it i can see how it would help, i just have visions of nasty things happening to large blocks of code

i have a dim memory of there being an IDE command in VS 2003 to select from this bracket to its matching bracket, but it would not be as convenient as this.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jmihalicza
Ketchup Master

Hungary
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  05:57:50 AM  Show Profile
Actually double click is already reserved for word selection, and I wouldn't like to override it. (My fresh experiments show that CTRL + single click is the same)
Instead, this command could have been performed with ALT + double-click that normally needs both hands thus preventing the user from doing accidents easily.

Besides the parenthesis check this feature is also useful when explaining the code to someone else ('this block' does this etc.), actually I have been shown this in CodeWarrior this way.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  06:17:12 AM  Show Profile
I like the Idea...

Maybe an addition to the Shift+Rightclick Shortcut-Menu instead of double-clicking, something like "Select Scope" or "Select Function".

This way, copying & pasting whole functions would be easier...

Go to Top of Page

jmihalicza
Ketchup Master

Hungary
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  08:16:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Maybe an addition to the Shift+Rightclick Shortcut-Menu instead of double-clicking
The typical usage is the invocation of the function rarely, but in dense groups.
Just imagine the situation of checking the parenthesis (1) or explaining the code (2)
(1)
click, ok, this is that scope
click, ok, this is that other
click, ok, this is the bad one.
(2)
the cycle does this (click), in that this 'while' does this (click) etc.

Not having a one-click (maybe that one is double) solution would kill these workflows. The context menu invocation is just too complex and slow for these situations.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18726 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  4:47:32 PM  Show Profile
i remembered double click selects the current word myself sometime after replying to this this seems sensible and well thought out, so i have put in a feature request.

case=824

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000