A big bug I encountered when using VA !
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HKCNHB

6 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  06:13:48 AM  Show Profile
Now I use Visual Assist 10.1.1301.0,
My development tools is Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0.
My OS is MS Win2000 Professional.

Usually, after I create a new project, add some CPP files to the project, and add some code to the CPP file.
I have found that if the CPP file shouldn't be too long, or the Visual Assist won't work normally, the CPP file should not be longger than 750 lines more or less, if more lines, the CPP file's source code font won't be display correctly, for example, the variables can't be reconginzed by Visual Assist and the variables' name's font is simply black(normally it is various and can be identified by Visual Assist), as if you haven't using Visual Assist!!!

I like the Visual Assist tools, but this bug is too tiresome, when I build a large project , I am usually troubled by the bug before.

I hope that you can erdicate the bug.
Thanks!

HKCNHB

6 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  06:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Here are some examples to illustrate the bug :

1) normally, variable's font color can be recongined correctly, which list as below:
----------------------------------------------------
// Line number is less than 750
string [gray]s1[/gray];
int [gray]x[/gray];
MyStruct [gray]ms[/gray];

2) but, when your source code is longger than 750 lines , trouble come, and bug appears, the variable's font color can't be displayed correctly now.

// Line number is more than 750 now
string s1;
int x;
MyStruct ms;

In this situation, the result is just as if you hadn't using VA!
Go to Top of Page

HKCNHB

6 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  06:31:07 AM  Show Profile
sorry, I found that your website don't support the [gray][/gray] macros. so I just assume that the variable's normal font color is Purple, but not gray list as before, the effect is :

1) normally, variable's font color can be recongined correctly, which list as below:
// Line number is less than 750
string s1;
int x;
MyStruct ms;
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  3:01:04 PM  Show Profile
i often use VA with C++ files much longer than 750 lines, and i have never had a problem like this. is this effect present in all files?

at a guess there is something in the code that is confusing VA, so everything after this "problem" point the colouring is incorrect. the trick is to try and find out what the problem code is.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

HKCNHB

6 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  9:09:14 PM  Show Profile
not all files. But within a project files which file length is longger, this problem will often occurs.
feline: which version of VA do you use ? and what is your development tool(VC? VC.net?) ?
Go to Top of Page

HKCNHB

6 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  11:29:52 PM  Show Profile
Maybe I should say that "If my file length is too long, the bug will appears", 750 lines isn't a accurate number, it only shows the situation in fact.
Go to Top of Page

meteorfall

4 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  02:36:29 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes similar problem also occurs in my c# files.

Edited by - meteorfall on Oct 14 2005 02:37:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2005 :  2:17:09 PM  Show Profile
i have spent many long hours using VA 1301 on files 2,000 lines long and longer. i do my development work in VS 2003, but i can only think of one other report of this bug. in that case there was something specific to the source code that upset VA. it was not the length, but the content.

can either of you try opening one of the code files that has this problem on its own in the IDE, with no solution loaded? if the problem still shows up is it an option to email me a copy of a problem file, so i can try and reproduce this problem?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

HKCNHB

6 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  9:08:14 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I also think it maybe the content that upset VA. I will submit a sample test project to you when I am free. Maybe 3-5 days.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000