Serious issue in 1413
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tragib

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  3:23:19 PM  Show Profile
I have a large project that I'm using Visual Studio .NET 2003 to develop. It consists of several VB.NET, C#, and C++ projects. It is a WinForm application. After installing Build 1413, my application started generating exceptions when de-serializing ImageList data on Windows 2000. I've traced this down to VAX Build 1413 installing the devenv.exe.manifest file to enable XP theming in Visual Studio.

When devenv.exe is using the XP theming common controls, it uses a different serialization method to write imagelist data to the manifests which is not compatible with non-themed versions of Windows (and Xp without themes enabled).

Here's a google link to one of many topics that I've found discussing this.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms/browse_thread/thread/698cdd06d0092837/1465b7672be2f400?q=imagelist%2Bdevenv.exe.manifest&rnum=1&hl=en#1465b7672be2f400

To get my app working again, I had to remove the manifest file, delete the 'bin' and 'obj' folders in all of the projects and rebuild the application. It wasn't a big deal to fix the problem, but I'd hate to see others actually ship something and run into a similiar fate.

Travis

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2005 :  10:05:11 AM  Show Profile
We are studying the issue. More info at:

http://www.codeproject.com/w2k/xpvisualstyle.asp
Go to Top of Page

Shai-Hulud

41 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  01:55:24 AM  Show Profile
Just yesterday we stumbled over the very same problem. It must've been related to VAX 1416 as this was the version I set up on a fresh Workstation. I have all my developers check for a DEVENV.exe.manifest now and to be serious about the file not being installed by any VS.NET extension / Add-In.

In the history I did not find a trace for DEVENV.exe.manifest no longer being written. Does ist mean that 1418 will still install the file?

Thanks

Kai
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  2:24:24 PM  Show Profile
i have just tested this by moving my existing DEVENV.exe.manifest file out of the way and reinstalling 1418 over the top of its self. a new DEVENV.exe.manifest was installed for the 2003 IDE.

i have emailed support about this, to see what is going on. if you replace the DEVENV.exe.manifest with a read only zero length file then the VAX installer will not update it, but this stops the IDE from loading . it may be possible to find a manifest file that does not cause this problem, and by making it read only VAX should leave it alone.

for now you need to manually delete this file after installing / updating VAX.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Jun 29 2005 2:38:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  9:19:51 PM  Show Profile
case=697
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked