New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  07:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, if I disable VAX while Intellisense is visible, it stays visible until I choose any option from it. It does not disappear even I click away to code editor. Even caret is on different position than that when intellisense was shown, it adds clicked item to that original position.

Dusan

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  12:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would you want to disable VA while an intellisense listbox is visible?

Are you having some problem with the intellisense listboxes while VA is active?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  09:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because original Intellisense is better than VA (in C#). But I like the hiliting from VA.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  11:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the VA Options dialog, on the Quick Config node you can set Suggestions = Min. This should help to limit the number of VA listboxes, leaving you with the listboxes you want, along with VA highlighting.

Does this help?

Go to Top of Page

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  02:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why it can not work as in C++? There, when I disable VA while suggestions are visible, those are hidden.

Is it possible to have different settigs for each prog. language?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  3:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listboxes have to work slightly differently in the different languages, due to how the IDE listboxes themselves work. Remember the IDE does not know about VA, and we have to work "behind its back".

VA is not designed to be disabled with a listbox showing, so I am a little surprised this works at all.

Can you post a simple code example showing where you have problems with the VA listboxes? Ideally we would like to try and fix VA so the listbox content was correct.

Go to Top of Page

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  03:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

VA is not designed to be disabled with a listbox showing, so I am a little surprised this works at all.

But is looks like a bug. When ListBox is visible and I disable VA, because of its content, it should hide also Listbox as in C++.

quote:

Can you post a simple code example showing where you have problems with the VA listboxes? Ideally we would like to try and fix VA so the listbox content was correct.

When I write in C# "List<int> m_List = new " original intellisense will suggest "List<int>", VA's will still suggest "new" or "#if" and only after some moves of carret, it suggests "List<int>" then. That is why I like to have it turned off, because if it is not "List<int>", but "List<KeyValuePair<int, KeyValuePair<string, string>>>" it is something that I do not like to write twice...

Dusan
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  2:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know VA is not designed to be disabled while it is working with an open listbox. Also in C# the listboxes come from the IDE, but VA then steps in and tries to help improve them, e.g. with syntax highlighting and filtering.

So it is reasonable that there would be a difference in behaviour in different languages.

For the code, I have just tried your two examples here, and VA is suggesting the correct thing for me. I am using VS2005 with VA 1842, working in a .cs file, and this is what I am seeing:

I am not sure why this is not working for you. Which version of VA are you using?

Go to Top of Page

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  3:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not sure why this is not working for you. Which version of VA are you using?

Did you write it completely on keyboard? If I paste "List<int> l = new", it also suggests correct option, or even I write it on keyboard and after suggestion press backspace and space again it suggests correct item.

Dusan (VA: 10.6.1842.0)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  10:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have typed both test lines, deleted and retyped the space after "new", and deleted and retyped "new " several times, on both lines, and I am always getting the correct suggestion.

In the VA options dialog, "Advanced -> Suggestions", how many of these options do you have turned on? On my test system I have all 4 options turned on.

Go to Top of Page

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  02:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the VA options dialog, "Advanced -> Suggestions", how many of these options do you have turned on? On my test system I have all 4 options turned on.

I have checked only "Filter completion list to use...". After I checked all, it worked. Problem is that, this way it is not as good in C++. I program in both, there should be an option to set those settings for each language...

Dusan
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18948 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  12:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you explain, perhaps with a code example, why turning on suggestions is causing problems in C++? Personally I program in C++ with suggestions turned on, and I find that this is very helpful.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  3:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=55566
Go to Top of Page

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  3:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can you explain, perhaps with a code example, why turning on suggestions is causing problems in C++? Personally I program in C++ with suggestions turned on, and I find that this is very helpful.

There is a known problem with nested structs. I am not sure, whether Sean's suggestion is that case, but if struct in C++ contains definition of another struct, in some cases, when you use parent struct, VA suggests also members of child struct.

Dusan
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  3:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry - case=55566 is for the List<int> problem when suggestions are disabled.

Regarding nested C++ structs, VA does have a problem with nested untagged struct instances:

typedef struct _STRUCTDATA
{
struct { char foo; } bar;
}
STRUCTDATA;

void structTesting()
{
STRUCTDATA p;
p.foo; // not valid but va thinks so
p.bar.foo; // the right way
}

that is case=3548 which we hope to have addressed in the next build.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  11:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=3548 is fixed in build 1845

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  11:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote