Feature Requests
 Alphabetical Listing of methods
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

imikejackson

2 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  11:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have searched through the preferences and didn't seem to find a way to have the VA Outline display the methods in Alphabetical Order. Is there a way to do that? If not what is the proper channel to put in a request?

Been using Visual Assist X for about 1.5 years now and it is a great product. Almost essential if you are coding in MSVC. Thanks for the great work.

Mike Jackson
Principal Software Engineer
BlueQuartz Software http://www.bluequartz.net

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  5:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA Outline is designed to help you get a sense of the current file, and also to help you edit or re-order the file, via cut and paste or drag and drop. So the order of items in VA Outline is the same as the order of items in the file. We are considering allowing VA Outline to be sorted into alphabetical order, but this is just an idea at the moment:

case=20370

The Alt-m list can be set to show you the items in the current file in alphabetical order:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/methods.asp

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

imikejackson

2 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  5:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. That makes sense. I didn't even think of looking in the VA Toolbar. I use eclipse predominantly and the placement of the VA Outline and Eclipse's outline are in the exact same spot within their respective IDEs so it is just a matter of muscle memory. I can live with the VA Toolbar.

Thanks for the assist.
Mike Jackson
Go to Top of Page

hduregger

3 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  04:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd also like to see an option to sort the VA outline alphabetically. This is an essential feature for me to quickly locate methods. Eclipse and Monodevelop have it. Apart from some basic order in the source file, I do not sort functions alphabetically in the source. Instead the IDE should provide a quick way of locating and navigating to methods, even with the mouse, and for methods whose name the developer does not know yet.

Edited by - hduregger on Jun 03 2011 04:38:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  10:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you aware that you can use alt+m to get an alphabetical method list? Or if you prefer mouse, just click on the arrow next to the context field, which is the left combobox, and is above the code editor window:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/methods.asp
Go to Top of Page

hduregger

3 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2011 :  05:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am aware of that functionality. Thank you for suggesting it.

But, unfortunately I don't use the navigation bar and always disable it in Visual Studio (VS) and also Visual Assist, as it clutters the screen, in my opinion.

I am a visual person (learner). Therefore I never set anything on autohide, like the output window in VS or the window list in the operating system. You are so much faster if you have it in constant view with a quick move of your eye, than if you must first pull down a menu or list. Of course this is all just my preference, just telling to give you an idea, why some people might like to do things a bit differently.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000