New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TudorT

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  1:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if(characters->PlayerTeamIsOnBottom()) {
}

The suggestions is always a function returning void inside even simple statements as the above. It would be nice if the line of code was parsed to generate the required return value type.

Also, as an enhancement, can the dialog box (the place to review the name of the class member function / variable) include 3 grouped push buttons for: private, protected, and public? That would be awesome. Especially if the function / variable is placed appropriately.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  7:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put in a feature request to create method which returns bool if called from inside parentheses:

case=55527
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  7:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are considering to improve Create from usage to respect private/public in C++:

case=29902

Currently the logic would be to create a member with the same visibility that the embracing member function has, or to create as public if the new member function will be created in a different class. What do you think? Our policy is to avoid increasing the complexity of the GUI where it is reasonable so we can keep it as simple & clean as it is possible.

In the meantime, are you aware that you can use VA Outline to drag-and-drop symbols (e.g. a newly created member function) which will make Visual Assist to move the corresponding function automatically in the source as well? You can use it as a "workaround" until this enhancement will be done.

Edited by - accord on Feb 24 2011 7:22:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

TudorT

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  7:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am mostly using the style of rapidly typing a new algorithm part which includes several names of not yet created functions and many times I am working on a public function while the newly typed function calls should be private. I think that if you present a minimal dialog with push buttons (instead of the hard to hit default windows style checkboxes), this would not be intrusive. You can select the button which corresponds to the visibility type of the function in which "create from usage" is applied to. And yes, I know about VA Outline's facility.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  8:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing your ideas. I have added them to the case. I think, however, that checkboxes with shortcuts works. For example, try Find Symbol dialog and press alt+c: it toggles the checkbox, the focus stays in the editbox and I think it is absolutely not disturbing. I like it
Go to Top of Page

TudorT

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  11:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can live with Windows style checkboxes even though plain button style on-off ones are easier to hit with the mouse and they distract less from the task at hand. I have only limited memory space in my brain for keyboard shortcuts though :P.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  8:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to clear up: it seems that the default visibility for a newly created member function for the same class will be private which makes perfect sense for me. So my original post about it wasn't accurate.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  11:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=55527 is fixed in build 1845

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: