New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cfp

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  7:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've just come back to using VAX (now with VS 2010) after a long time without it, and a lot of the formatting options for C/C++ code seem to have gone. I'm sure last time I used it VAX could be set to add spaces within brackets e.g. if( a = b ) rather than if (a=b). It now just seems to use VS's formatting options, but the C/C++ ones have always been very limited (the C# ones are better for some reason). Am I misremembering what VAX used to do? Can I get the old functionality back somehow?

Thanks in advance,

cfp

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  10:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA has some limited formatting options, but mostly we just ask the IDE to do the code formatting.

Here it depends on what you are doing. There is the VA option:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Correction -> insert () and closing } ) ] ' "

where you can specify how many spaces to put between the method name and the brackets.

Also if you are using VA Snippets then you can edit the formatting in the VA Snippets dialog.

But if you are simply typing code directly, then VA does not attempt to reformat the code as you type.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

cfp

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  8:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could have sworn that older versions of VAX allowed you more options on correction, including space within brackets. Perhaps I'm misremembering though.

Thanks anyway.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  11:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA has never tried to do much code formatting as you type, since this is such a complex area, and needs a very large number of options to do it right.

If you are using VA refactoring commands then you can edit the VA refactoring VA Snippets to specify spaces, or no spaces, inside and outside the brackets. This might be part of what you are remembering.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000