Feature Requests
 Methods dropdown improvements
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

per

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  12:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I make use of the methods dropdown quite a lot on larger files and wonder if it couldn't be improved in certain ways for dealing with that:

First when there are many methods in a file I'd love for it to open scrolled to the current method where the cursor/view is.

Second I'd like for it to highlight the method that the cursor is currently in in the list.

Third it would be great if the scrollwheel behavior/speed could be improved. Right now it's very sluggish when there are many methods even though using the scrollbar is smooth and fast.

Fourth I'd love an option to group methods into class/namespace submenus. With larger files often there are multiple classes, while it groups the methods by class it still leaves a very long list, it would be wonderful if it were possible to fold/unfold classes that are pertinent within the list for quick jumping to-from. Either with an additional "filter" dropdown that acts like typing into the methods dropdown now but keeps it's contents when selecting methods, or just by having submenus with the class name as the title for each submenu.

Fifth, it would be great to be able to quickly mark methods temporarily that you want to see and plan on jumping between a lot in the list with a modifier click and then hiding everything else.

Thanks for the consideration.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  11:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Alt-m list is designed to help you quickly jump to a specific function in the current file, rather than to provide a constant over view of the file, and your position in it.

VA Outline is designed to show a grouped outline of the file, and it can highlight and track your current position within the file:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vaoutline.asp

To jump quickly between two methods, have you considered using the Most Recently Used list in VA View, perhaps with Include modified methods turned on, or IDE bookmarks:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/mru.asp

The mouse wheel scroll speed, for a small wheel motion the list scrolls slowly for me, but for a larger motion the list scrolls very quickly for me. Are you aware that you can type to filter this list? I find this a lot faster and more reliable than trying to scroll through a long list looking for the item I want.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000