Brace Highlighting in build 1848
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BobClarke

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  3:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just installed 1848, and have "Highlight matching {} and () using Fuschia" selected in the Advanced/Display settings. But matching {} and () are being highlighted in black, not the selected color.

BobClarke

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  3:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should add that this is in Visual Studio 2005 with C++ code.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  12:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does going back into the VA options dialog and changing the matching bracket colour to another value have any effect?

Have you used an older version of VA on this machine, or is this a clean install of VA?

If you go into IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Display items = VA X Brace Matching

what is shown for the foreground colour here?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

BobClarke

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  4:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, after closing and opening Visual Studio twice since my last post, the brace highlighting is now working. I have not been able to reproduce the problem since it starting working again. But here are the answers to your questions, anyway.

>> Does going back into the VA options dialog and changing the matching bracket colour to another value have any effect?

Had no effect when the problem was occurring.

>> Have you used an older version of VA on this machine, or is this a clean install of VA?

This is not a clean install of VA. I have been using VA on this machine for about four years. Before version 1848, I was running 1845.

>> If you go into IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Display items = VA X Brace Matching, what is shown for the foreground colour here?

White.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  5:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I am not sure what went wrong here. There is a known limitation in the IDE that means you have to reload the IDE / the IDE options dialog before you can set the VA colours there, but this should only effect new clean installs of VA.

Nothing about your answers suggests a possible cause to me. Hopefully this was a one off problem, but if this problem, or anything else comes up again please do not hesitate to contact us, and we will do our best to help.

Go to Top of Page

BobClarke

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  4:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This (brace highlighting color being ignored) happened again today with build 1849. I had been using VS2005 and VA 1848 for three hours, saw a new build of VA available, so I closed VS and installed build 1849. I then opened VS again and worked with it for about two hours, then noticed that the brace highlight color was no longer fuchsia, but bold black. I fixed it by going into VA Display Settings and changing the brace color, clicking Apply, exiting the dialog, then changing it back to fuchsia.

The last time this happened was also right after installing a new build, so I wonder if that is a factor.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  10:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this time you didn't need to restart Visual Studio. Interesting...
Also, if it happened again, can you please try whether setting the color via the option dialog of Visual Studio makes the color stable?

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Display items = VA X Brace Matching

Edited by - accord on May 26 2011 10:23:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

azur
Ketchup Master

Germany
52 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  04:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The background color for VA X Brace Matching and VA X Brace Error are changed from 'Default' to 'Black'.

Maybe the problem was that I changed the Windows Colors (Window Text, Window Background)?

VA X Build: 1854
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  11:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
azur which IDE are you using?

What foreground and background colour have you set VA brace matching and brace error to, and what are you seeing in the editor?

Go to Top of Page

azur
Ketchup Master

Germany
52 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  02:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IDE: Visual Studio 2010 Premium (Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel)

I had changed in the system control panel the Window Text to White and the Window Background to Blue. In the IDE that take no effect so I changed back to Black text on White.
A little bit later i notice that VA Brace Matching and VA Brace Error have a black background. I should better say it looks like that. I used the color picker tool from UltraEdit Professional Editor 17.10 (a little pipette) and the tool say that the background color is White!

After that I search the forum for a relevant topic because I had forgot that I can set the colors via IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Fonts and Colors -> Display items.
There was the 'Item background' for both VA X Brace xxx set to Black. I switched this back to Default and now everything works fine.

Unfortunately I can't tell you for sure that the issue is depending on the change of the Window Colors. Maybe you made some adjustments when you receive a WM_SYSCOLORCHANGE-Message.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2011 :  10:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The IDE lets you set the background colour for the text editor. To change the background colour of the other IDE windows you need to change the global Windows colour scheme, as you first tried.

If you are still looking to change the background colour of the editor its self this FAQ entry might help:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W141

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000