New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foke

France
7 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  6:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I'm a C++ developer and I'm currently using Visual Assist at work along with Visual Studio 2010. Visual Assist is the only plugin for VS that I use.

Our project is currently about 40k lines of code in 190 files. One solution, 6 projects inside.
External library used (and probably parsed by Vax) are ACE, boost, cpptest, tinyxml, sqlite.

Now the issue:
From time to time memory is ramping up a lot. A couple of weeks ago I had a computer with 3GB of ram, and it was filling the memory, making it very hard to use the computer for a few minutes. Now I have 4GB (3.46GB usable in windows XP 32bit) and the memory growth usually stops just before it fills completely the RAM, keeping the computer usable. After a little while it drops 'violently' to come back to normal. Filling the memory can take, maybe 20 or 30 seconds. This phenomenon may then reappear 10 minutes or 10 hours later ...

I cannot tell if it's really Visual Assist which is causing the problem but, this problem happened to me with my previous computer, I still have it with the new one. We're 3 working on that project, one of my colleagues has Visual Assist and is experiencing the problem too, the other one does not use it and does not have the problem.

To monitor memory usage I use process explorer from sysinternals. Individually, no process sees it's memory footprint grow. I only see it in system informations / memory tab / Physical Memory History. However it's clearly related to VS because I tried closing everything except VS and I still have the problem. Before this project I was working with VS 2005 + Visual Assist on the same computer, and I never had this problem.

Here is a screenshot of the memory footprint:

I almost forgot :
My current VAX version is 10.6.1845.0
I see there is a newer version I'll try it asap!

In the meantime if there is a fix/workaround for this I'd be glad to know!

Thanks for reading :)

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  8:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't seem to be a known problem. Can you please try enable logging if the problem persists with the new version? You will find the description of this process after the jump:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

The log files may give us a clue to what is happening...

Edited by - accord on May 31 2011 8:16:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

foke

France
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  4:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It still happens with the last version.
But I didn't enable logging yet.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2011 :  10:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately that seems to be our best options since like you said it is project specific as sending in your project isn't feasible And the since, as I understand, it does not happen immediately and sometimes takes hours to appear, a log file may be even better than a test project... Hope the logs files will give us some clue.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18958 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  08:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you try and grab a mini dump of the IDE during one of these memory usage spikes please? This FAQ entry gives some details of this, using procdump from sysinternals:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W303

procdump has a "-m" command line switch, described as "Memory commit threshold in MB at which to create a dump of the process." which might help you capture a dump when this is happening:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  10:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got the log file and will look into it, thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Michal Puczynski
Ketchup Master

Poland
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  09:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw that many times with VC 2003 with VA 1464 and numerous other builds (maybe but last). It is not something new. The problem is to catch it and report in the right way. Temporary solution that worked for me was to rebuild the whole database, it did help for a short time but I could never be sure that it will not hit me again in very inconvenient moment. The only difference that I see between my observations and Foke's, is that my IDE usually dies after filling the whole memory, maybe because my PC has less memory and the devenv.exe eats up all the possible byte available or maybe I am not patient enough.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18958 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  1:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange, and clearly very serious. If you were able to grab a mini dump while the IDE was in this bad state that might help us to find out what is going on.

If a symbol database rebuild is helping this suggests a corrupt symbol database is a factor, but the database should not be getting corrupted. Do your project directories overlap with your stable include directories? This is most unlikely, but it has been known, and it can cause some odd problems.

Go to Top of Page

foke

France
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  2:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received a message this morning saying it's possible the problem comes from the fact that I have visual studio 2010 without SP1.

That's right, but I cannot install it for now, maybe I'll do it later. The problem is no longer very annoying to me since I got more ram because it's not filling it entirely.

Anyway I've done a dump, if you're still interested I can send it to you.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  2:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely interested. It may give us some pointers...
Go to Top of Page

foke

France
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  3:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of interesting screenshots I just took

system memory:

It was only a 400MB bump, I mostly have those kind of small ones now for some reason.

devenv.exe memory, I've never noticed a big spike in devenv memory usage:

devenv.exe before

devenv.exe after

Go to Top of Page

foke

France
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  3:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
happened again
-1.0GB system memory (physical memory)
-40MB devenv memory (private bytes) (~=1min earlier)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18958 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  7:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please submit the mini dump via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up. Hopefully it will offer some clues.

Go to Top of Page

foke

France
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  07:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I've deactivated, one week ago, the intellisense database (Tools>Options>Text Editor>C/C++>Advanced>Disable Database=true) and the problem seems to be gone.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18958 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  09:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. It is possible you have a corrupt IDE symbol database. If so then closing VS2010 and deleting the .SDF file in the root directory of your solution might help, since the IDE will recreate this file if you turn IDE intellisense back on.

Corrupt IDE symbol databases have been known to cause similar problems with earlier IDE's, but I think this is the first time anyone has reported something like this with VS2010.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000