Intellisense have to use Ctrl+Space to trigger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yuan.Liu

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  6:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently updated to version 10.6.1850.0 build 2011.06.07

My intellisence no longer filters as I type, it displays initial intellisence window and nolonger filters entries. I was using resharper's intellisense to workaround on C# but as it does not support C++, now my C++ has no workaround :(

It was working fine before upgrade.

I am using resharper and viemu on vs2010 Ultimate.

Edited by - Yuan.Liu on Jun 20 2011 6:42:40 PM

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  7:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using ViEmu?
Go to Top of Page

Yuan.Liu

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  11:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I use viEmu. I have just tried to disable ViEmu and intellisence back to normal, but it was working fine with previous VAX though.

Edited by - Yuan.Liu on Jun 21 2011 11:10:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  11:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspected that. Unfortunately this is a regression in 1848:

case=58034

The last build this works with is 1845. Earlier builds can be downloaded here:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.asp

or you can install VsVim as a workaround:

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/59ca71b3-a4a3-46ca-8fe1-0e90e3f79329
Go to Top of Page

cgough

27 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  10:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also having the same issue on build 10.6.1850.0 build 2011.06.07. I am not using viemu.

This case should be escalated to a showstopper status because that's one of the main features I depend on from VAX. The intellisense just seems to come and go with different builds, it simply can't be released without it. I will revert to build 1845.

Thanks

VA_X.dll file version 10.6.1850.0 built 2011.06.07
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1 Professional
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.4462
Font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 11(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6001.18000
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1
2 processors (x86)

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  10:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any other plugins installed?

Are you seeing any form of pattern to this problem with listboxes in VA 1850? Are you seeing problems with your own classes? Standard windows classes? 3rd party library classes?

I am wondering if there is something in your code that is confusing our parser, if so it might be class or file specific.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

cgough

27 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  2:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No other plug-ins installed, However the solution that I'm using is pretty large (95 projects or so). I was having this issue with one of our vanilla classes.

Is there something I can do to just clear out the VAX data store (beyond the GUI). I have also disabled the default intellisense by renaming the fecap.dll.

I rolled back to 1845 with somewhat better success.

Here is a possible hint. It could be that the options in the Find Symbol dialog might have a more global scope. I don't have time to play with it today.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  3:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
95 projects is a large solution, but I have seen VA work reliably with bigger solutions. If you are using the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

then this triggers a full rebuild of VA's symbol database. Next time you run into a problem can you please show VA View, then place keyboard focus back into the editor, and now hover the mouse over the variable or type you are having problems with. Is the correct information displayed in the bottom part of VA View?

If VA is not sure about the type, or the members of the type, this will show up in VA View, and also in the listboxes.

Go to Top of Page

cgough

27 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  4:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still running 1845, but VA View has never worked well for me. The update for current scope is turned on but nothing is showing up in the window. It did work for a second but then it has stopped updating.

Thanks for the support, and have a good weekend.
Go to Top of Page

cgough

27 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  09:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Upgraded to 1850 and VA View does not update with the current scope in my large project. However if I generate a small test application, then it works like a charm.

I'm wondering if it's choking on some of the XAML stuff we are doing in the big project. We are using loose XAML (parsing the xaml at runtime), this is not a common scenario. I sure wish it worked for me.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  10:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you ignore the update for current scope problem for a moment, does VA View show anything useful in the bottom half when you place keyboard focus into the editor and hover the mouse over one of your classes or variables?

It sounds like VA is having some significant problems with your code. Which programming languages are you working in?

If you copy of the problem code files into a small test solution, do you still see these problems? Obviously you will need to pick a file with enough code in it for VA to try and make sense of, but I am wondering if you are able to produce a small and simple test that you might be able to send me, so we can try to work out what is going on here.

Go to Top of Page

cgough

27 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  11:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't explain it, VA View seems to be working well now. I re-enabled the fecap.dll maybe that helped. I still have to use the ctrl + space for suggestions.

Sorry I don't have something more concrete.
Go to Top of Page

cgough

27 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  11:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tools|Options|Text Editor|All Languages|Statement completion|Auto List members.

Checking that seems to really make it work better. My expectation was that Visual assist would take over this option in Visual Studio. It's a bit confusing how VA interacts with VS, where the overlap occurs and where things should be configured.

Thanks I'll keep you updated.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  2:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically, VA tries to be consistent with intellisense listbox behavior and we aim to respect Visual Studio options where it's viable, and to provide own options we there are no VS equivalent. (Complicates the matter that there are separate options for each languages and they are different to some point and there are cases where settings are missing from a language that are exist in an another, even with similar languages). So, if a user turns off an option in VS options dialogue, usually expects to affect VA behavior as well.

Hope it makes sense

Edited by - accord on Jul 14 2011 2:23:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  02:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Build 1854 contains a workaround for case=58034. Create a binary registry value named TrackCaretVisibility under HKCU\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet10 and set its value to 00 for compatibility with ViEmu. (The value defaults to 01 and is created for you upon exiting VS the first time you run 1854 or higher.)

Note you need to close all IDEs before editing this registry key, to avoid Visual Assist X overwriting your change when it exits.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Edited by - sean on Jul 20 2011 12:04:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yuan.Liu

6 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2011 :  12:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! works perfectly!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: