New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2003 :  10:38:16 AM  Show Profile
When I type along "re" then a list pops up with "return" as the first entry, which I could accept with Enter or Tab.
When I not accept and continue and type "t" the list is reduced to contain "return" and "retval".
Now, deleting the "t" with Backspace, widens the list again, this time it contains a lot more items, starting with "register" which is sometimes selected, sometimes the "return" item remains selected.
This is irritating and even annoying in some cases. Often you write along and while you write you see that the list already contained the item you wanted to write, but you have already typed another character and the list has changed. Instintively you press Backspace to get the previous lists contents back, but you end up with another list.

This worked much better in VA6. I'd like to have it back

Cezariusz
Tomato Guru

Poland
244 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2003 :  11:18:14 AM  Show Profile
I agree, changes in list contents are annoying, because sometimes my fingers are faster that my mind, and before I realize, that something useful is on list, it often disappears or goes somewhere else.

Cezariusz Marek
https://midicat.net/
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2003 :  11:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Thats what I'm talking about - it disappears and then is gone.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2003 :  6:40:22 PM  Show Profile
There is an AutoText entry, defined in Misc\\VAssist.tpl, for "r" such that when you type "r", VA X will always suggest "return". The fixed expansion is what makes AutoText useful -- you needn't look at the display -- you are guaranteed of the expansion. There exists another to expand "I" to "INT".

When you type "r", VA X suggests "return". When you type "re", VA X suggests what it thinks is best irrespective of AutoText entries. If you have VA X configured to suggest more than one item (the default is four), "return" will likely be somewhere in the list -- perhaps first, probably not. If you press Backspace, the AutoText reappears.

VA 6.0 has the same behavior, assuming you have AutoText enabled. The difference with VA X is we forgot to give you the option of disabling AutoText. Our mistake. We will include the following option on our Completion tab in the next one or two builds:
[x] Include Autotext in suggestion listboxes

For those who prefer "r" suggest the same thing as "re", we recommend disabling the "Include Autotext..." option, or removing the AutoText entry from VAssist.tpl. The same applies to the suggesting of "INT" when you type "I".

The forgetting of the "r" expansion when one types "re" was done specifically for expansion of retval. We want VA X to suggest "return" when you type "r", and "retval" when you type "re".

We cannot reproduce other strange behavior regarding listbox contents. In our tests, what we get backspacing is the exact opposite of what we type going forward. Please post or send us a reproducable case if you can irreverant behavior. We'd certainly review the it. We agree you want to "backspace and tab" to get something you just saw in a listbox.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2003 :  6:52:40 PM  Show Profile
Backspacing pretty much always changes the contents of the list. May be this has to do with the difference in suggestion list and completion list? It looks like this to me.
Anyhow, VA6 was more often right in its guesses than VA X is now. That is sad.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2003 :  7:05:21 PM  Show Profile
We certainly want VA X to be smarter than VA 6.

Virtually none of the guessing code has changed going to VA X. A lot of the UI has changed.

Suggestion listboxes are very different from Completion listboxes. The former replace our tooltips in VA 6. They should appear at basically the same time and with the same content -- only more if VA X has several suggestions to offer.

Completion listboxes appear only when you force them to appear. You need to press Ctrl+Space, or [ESC if a suggestion listbox is present, and] Tab.

We see a problem if you force a completion listbox then backspace, thinking the completion listbox will disappear. It's not always consistent. Could this be the case for you?

Have you noticed that icons in suggestion listboxes have a "selected" background (ie gray if you use default Windows and IDE colors)? We added the subtle distinction recently.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2003 :  7:55:55 PM  Show Profile
Ok, i'll try to figure it out what exactly shows up and what is irritating. Give me some time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000