Parsing Parsing Parsing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  04:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When using VB.NET (VS2010) I'm getting a kind of dizzy from the "Parsing" line at the bottom, which happens after each word of typing. Can it be shut off ? I don't see this all time flicker in a C++ project.

Dragging the VAssistX form somewhat to the bottom is no solution, because I need the column numbers showing on the same line of the VAssistX form.

Similarly is the refreshing of the Navigation Bar (located at the top). This though is more a nasty C++ habit. It's refreshed at each other object coming from my fingers.

So, right now I have shut off VAssistX as a whole for VB, and for C++ I have the Navigation Bar removed. This can't be the idea of course ...

Also, I really have to shut off most of the (highlighting etc.) options because otherwise I'd need three of me. I'm a kind of guy who has his keyboard repeat and mouse move set at the fastest rate (and i7/2.9GHz) and I really can't afford the sluggynesh. No big deal because I again will get crazy of all the highlighting anyway, but again this shouldn't be your idea about this all.

What about some settable timers for some of the various highlights ? or rightclick-show or something ?

Thanks for listening,
Peter

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  12:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Status bar messages:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W358

Navigation bar can be turned off as you have already said. Personally I don't mind some changing part of my screen. Turning off should be a good solution for you.

The last question: highlighting also can be configured to be an on-demans thing.
1. Turn off auto highlighting as you just did.
2. Turn on "Highligh references using [color]" in "Refactoring" section of your VA Options dialog
3. Run "Find References in File" on any symbol to get the same result

The latter can be done from
- VAssist -> Find References in File
or
- You will find it in the Refactoring menu which is binded to shift+alt+q by default but can be changed (VAsasistX.FindReferencesinFile)

Edited by - accord on Jul 19 2011 04:56:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  1:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be seeing the same frequency of status bar messages in both .vb and .cpp files. Are you finding the status bar messages more of a problem in one language? This is unexpected.

The navigation bar is designed to give you information about the current scope / position as you move the caret through the file. This includes typing. I am not quite sure what to say here to be honest. Does the idea of having the navigation bar provide information as you move the caret through your existing code make sense for your situation?

The syntax highlighting is designed to run very fast, to keep up with coding and scrolling of code, and it should not be slowing your typing experience down. If anything I would simply expect it to be lagging behind, since VA needs to catch up with what you have done before it will be able to apply highlighting correctly.

If it helps you can assign a keyboard shortcut to the command:

VAssistX.ToggleColoring

in the IDE options dialog -> keyboard setting.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Jul 18 2011 1:41:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2011 :  05:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. I'm not sure anymore whether you where talking about syntax highlighting or the "Automatically highlight references to symbol under cursor" in "Refactoring" section. (http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/highlightSymbolUnderCursor.asp) Even the latter should be very fast, but the syntax highlighting should be extremely fast, since it is designed to be able to cope even with fast scrolling.

Are you experiencing this sluggishness only in C++ or also in VB?
Anyway, I though that Navigation Bar is distracting for you with its often changing content, but like Feline I am also interested whether you find it useful otherwise.

Edited by - accord on Jul 19 2011 05:09:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  03:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Status bar messages:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W358

Ah, that's great. Thanks a lot.

quote:
You should be seeing the same frequency of status bar messages in both .vb and .cpp files. Are you finding the status bar messages more of a problem in one language? This is unexpected.

I must recheck it (I'm somewhere else right now), but as far as I'm concerned in C++ nothing is shown. Only when something can't be parsed and the standard VS "no intellisense" message comes up.
I can imagine though that things are related to the size of the program ? the number of methods ? (100K lines and some 200-300 methods for VB and 20K lines and 15 methods for C++).

quote:
Does the idea of having the navigation bar provide information as you move the caret through your existing code make sense for your situation?

Well, I can't say that it's useless, but obviously only when I need it. But then I think the other provisions work faster than shutting on the navbar temporarily.
Please notice this is only about flicker all the time, not about speed or something.
It's even hard to respond back to your "I don't know what to say". Maybe it's not worth a subject.
But maybe we should notice that when everything is turned on, it's one huse overwhelming "flicker" of appearing colors all over. What about "too much" ? So, this is just part of it.

quote:
The syntax highlighting is designed to run very fast, to keep up with coding and scrolling of code, and it should not be slowing your typing experience down. If anything I would simply expect it to be lagging behind, since VA needs to catch up with what you have done before it will be able to apply highlighting correctly.

But it does. Please keep in mind my remark about the repeat speed (start and sustain) which 99.99% of people accept to have it set at the default "medium". That would be totally unworkable for me (sounds exaggerated, but hopefully someone understands). I just have no time to wait for the cursor to start moving after 0.2 seconds, and let it tick by each 80ms or whatever it is. Try it. It's the difference between being at the place you want of 2 seconds and 0.3.

I don't perceive this as lag per se, but merely as a not constant "speed" of things. Slowing down in general. But anyway so much that I had to turn all off. No problem since.

What I must notice additionally though is that the work out of the suggestion lists seemingly is a culprit here. I mean, I don't think there's some timer on it, and the only reason it looks like it, will be because when the work out of it is being processed, it (the thread) will be cut in the mean time, me typing ahead. Still, that *will* be slowing down, and I guess it is this what I notice (too). Of course, the intellisense is still on, but all together it becomes too much ? Btw, I have 8 cores running, so my earlier mentioned 2.9GHz really is half of that. But now I do have 8 cores ... (if VA only utilizes them).

May you want to know : a bit depending on the object to workout, it easily can take 5 seconds for the suggestion list to come up. This by itself is a somewhat inconvenient thing, because now we'd always have to explicitly wait before we know we made a typo (remember, at "attempting", or it's just taking somewhat longer.

Hey, I'm not really complaining, but I thought it may be good to know that people exist who really can get annoyed by the actually so well meant processes in VA. And they are not meant to be shut off of course. That's all.

quote:
Even the latter should be very fast, but the syntax highlighting should be extremely fast, since it is designed to be able to cope even with fast scrolling.

Haha, almost correct. The point here is, that you should "prefetch" a page or so, in order to not let show the highlighting (take syntax errors in comments as example) show later. So, I scroll, and boom, later the screen is filled by a bunch of nice colours. If that happened in advance, no problem. But I guess then I'd have to wait for the page to appear, right ?

Peter

PS: Before you ask : the PC in question is highly optimized for speed all over. Stuff like playing audio samples with a latency of 1 2ch sample at 32 bits and 384 KHz (which is 1/384000 of a second and 8 bytes). Quite some less than the 20ms MS talks about.
Disk subsystem similar.

Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  03:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot :

quote:
Are you experiencing this sluggishness only in C++ or also in VB?

More in VB. But it feels like the larger program being the cause. Not sure.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, if I understand correctly, we have 2 different problems here:
1. Flicker
2. Speed

1. Flicker: Is it something that seems a bug to you, or you just don't like that VA clears and re-draws items on the screen when the caret position has been changed? In latter case, it seems we have a solution by turning changing parts off. Is this right?

Status bar message: it depends on the file size, in smaller files you may not see the message. But again, it seems you are satisfied by the turing-off solution.

2. Speed: 5 seconds is extremely slow. In VS2010 we get listbox content from default Intellisense. Can you please try whether unticking this option helps?

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense

It won't turn off intellisene, but VA will use its own database to populate the listbox. We have decided to turn this on by default because VS2010 may produce better results with some complex sources, but you can turn it off and see if you will be satisfied. It should be much faster.

Anyway, I am also using maxed out setting for my keyboard repeat and delay settings and am not really seeing sluggishness. Maybe I just don't notice or I'm using different settings. e.g. "Enable highlighting of references and keywords" in Text Editor -> Basic -> VB Specific section of VS options dialog might slow down the move of the caret. I don't have experience with VB though, this was only an example.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One additional point, VA's enhanced syntax colouring, we cannot prefetch anything here unfortunately, since we are working without the IDE's knowledge, and have to apply our colouring as and when the IDE lets us.

I do some work in VBScript, not the same as VB, obviously, but I never have to wait 5 seconds for a listbox, even in 10,000 line file. It could be my files are not large / complex enough, but listboxes should be a lot more responsive than this, especially on such a fast machine.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

PeterSt

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  12:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I talk about the Listboxes being slower, this is C++ only.
Uhm, but not right now ... (within 0.3 secs).

But please, I quite don't know what I'm doing nor what is happening, which is related to these settings stuff over two instances. For example, earlier for the life of me I couldn't get the syntax error underline to appear anywhere, and now in C++ is just works. Like stuff has been busy for quite a while after the first startup after the upgrade (but not noticing anything about that, except for a first 45 secs symbol finding).

Please let this sit for a while, because this "explicit testing" doesn't seem to cut it for me. Something must be really wrong somewhere, and I guess it just needs to come to me automatically. And I can't stick to one VS instance either for normal work. Sorry for now ...

Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000