Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hans Olav Nymand
Starting Member

Denmark
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  04:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I just started using Visual Assist X (build 1833) because Intellisense (as it is probably known) doesn't work with Managed C++.

First I loaded my project with another developer who already had Visual Assist X and found that it worked good. And now, if I load that project at myself it still works fine.

I then copied that project, renamed a lot of things, changed some build settings (for precompiled headers) and in the new project Visual Assist X does not present a list of member whern I enter -> or press Ctrl-space!

The only visible difference in the code, apart from the use of precompiled headers, is that in the old project all names were fully qualified like "System::Windows::Forms::DataGridViewTextBoxColumn", while in the new project I have a lot of "using namespace" and then unqualified declarations like "DataGridViewTextBoxColumn".

So obviously I thought this was the reason, but changing unqualified names to being fully qualified doesn't help :-(

What's the case
* I hope it may be a known bug, so getting the latest build would fix the problem...
* Is it a question of waiting time, am I too impatient? Can I somehow force Visual Assist to update it's intellisense database
* Could there be some other option I need to enable - in my project or Visual Assist (as mentioned it works in the first project even today and my impression is that Visual Assist options aren't stored pr. project)
* Or maybe it is a new bug :-(

Best regards,
Hans Olav Nymand

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  08:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the change from fully qualified symbols to using using namespaces could be the culprit. If you take a look at our change log (and find "namespace" on the page), you can see there are quite a few improvements regarding using namespaces after 1833, so there is a change it will get fixed once you download the latest version:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.asp

I can remember we fixed something like this but I'm not sure. Can you please try the latest version? (You can do so by clicking on the version number link on the history page)

You can rebuild your databases via

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

Visual Assist's options are not stored per project, but the symbol database is per project and per Visual Studio instance. The former means that when you exit a VS instance it will save your settings. So if there are more than one VS instances open you should close the one with your modified options last.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000