Feature Requests
 Keyboard hotkeys list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lettiere

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  07:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't find such a list in your site. Resharper has one and it's very useful: http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/docs/ReSharper60DefaultKeymap_VS_scheme.pdf
Closest I could find was this list:
http://yslee.springnote.com/pages/2142086
Not sure if it's up to date and/or comprehensive though - it isn't official for sure

Another smart thing Resharper does is display the current shortcut near each command (that way you immediately know the current hotkey for the command), for example see: http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/features/navigation_search.html

Thanks !

EDIT - OK I've found the list at:
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/shortcut.asp
Still a "cheat sheet" format like R# have would be nice, and my other suggestion regarding hotkey visibility is still valid
Also, looking at the default list, it would seem the vast majority of commands don't have default hotkeys. I would argue they should (again, see R#)

I apologize for the many R# references, I come from the .NET world and I highly appreciate what you do for the C/C++ world (I know it's harder!)

Edited by - Lettiere on Aug 21 2011 08:42:54 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  11:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am assuming you are not using VC6, so when you open the VAssistX IDE menu, do you see keyboard shortcuts listed, down the right hand side of the menu, for some of the commands? You should be seeing this.

Our current policy is to leave existing IDE keyboard shortcuts alone when possible, rather than simply replacing them with our own shortcuts. The problem with this is that most of the simple keyboard shortcuts have already been taken.

How do you normally trigger VA commands that you would rather trigger via a keyboard shortcut? Since you are not discovering the keyboard shortcuts, I am wondering how they could be made more visible.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Lettiere

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2011 :  03:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

I am assuming you are not using VC6, so when you open the VAssistX IDE menu, do you see keyboard shortcuts listed, down the right hand side of the menu, for some of the commands? You should be seeing this.

I'm using VS2008 and you're right, they hotkeys do appear there. It's just that I'd never use that menu - I prefer contextual menus to full menus that have most of their items grayed out (or irrelevant to my context)

quote:
Our current policy is to leave existing IDE keyboard shortcuts alone when possible, rather than simply replacing them with our own shortcuts. The problem with this is that most of the simple keyboard shortcuts have already been taken.

In cases of commands that replace/improve vanilla commands, I think it's OK to override their shortcuts (you could also ask the user, again see R#). You actually did this with Ctrl+Shift+V - and I'm giving this example even though I somewhat prefer the original VS clipboard cycle - I could always change it back, no big deal. There are also some pretty useless command in VS that you can probably override (like Edit.CharTranspose). Lastly, I think any shortcut is better than no shortcut at all, and I assume VS has left enough hotkey permutations.

quote:
How do you normally trigger VA commands that you would rather trigger via a keyboard shortcut? Since you are not discovering the keyboard shortcuts, I am wondering how they could be made more visible.

Contextual menus. If the hotkeys appeared there, I would switch to using them more rapidly (for now, I'm just using the list I linked to - which should have it's own page / PDF linked from the product's main page IMO). For very useful commands that don't have default hotkeys, I simply assign them myself. It works, but when I move to a new environment I'll have to set them all over again.

Edited by - Lettiere on Aug 23 2011 03:56:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  11:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the context menu, are you using Shift+Right click, or the small down arrow icon that shows on mouse hover, and gives you access to the refactoring commands? I am guessing the hovering down arrow icon menu.

It is interesting that you have picked out Edit.CharTranspose as a command to replace, since this is a command I use fairly often, along with line transpose Most keyboard shortcuts are unused for most users, but the set of used commands is different for each user.

For keyboard shortcuts the IDE does not already use, you quickly end up with either cords, the number pad, or ALT+SHIFT+ something. I know, I have looked. Its quite amazing how many shortcut keys the IDE already defines.

To transfer your settings from one machine to another, you can export and import both IDE and VA settings:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Go to Top of Page

Lettiere

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  04:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

For the context menu, are you using Shift+Right click, or the small down arrow icon that shows on mouse hover, and gives you access to the refactoring commands? I am guessing the hovering down arrow icon menu.

I actually use the hotkey (alt+shift+q)

quote:

It is interesting that you have picked out Edit.CharTranspose as a command to replace, since this is a command I use fairly often, along with line transpose Most keyboard shortcuts are unused for most users, but the set of used commands is different for each user.

For keyboard shortcuts the IDE does not already use, you quickly end up with either cords, the number pad, or ALT+SHIFT+ something. I know, I have looked. Its quite amazing how many shortcut keys the IDE already defines.

I see your point However, you could always ask the the user if he wants hotkeys overridden (again, see R#).

quote:

To transfer your settings from one machine to another, you can export and import both IDE and VA settings:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

That's good to know, thanks. However, having standard hotkeys is better, as you can simply start working on a friend's computer without changing anything.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  8:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I know we are talking about the same thing, I have put in a feature request to show the keyboard shortcuts on the refactoring context menu:

case=60908

This does make sense, and should help to make the keyboard shortcuts a little more obvious.

We are looking into showing a dialog that lists possible VA keyboard shortcuts and then assigns them if you agree:

case=54741

Go to Top of Page

Lettiere

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  08:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thanks for your support :)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2011 :  11:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=60908 is implemented in build 1859

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Lettiere

5 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  04:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by support

case=60908 is implemented in build 1859

Thanks!
Just installed the new version and it works

I hope you get to case=54741 somewhere down the road :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  11:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do have an eye on case=54741, and it has not been forgotten.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000