Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  03:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WinSP3, VC2008, Latest VAX.
Since the last few versions of VAX i have problems with VAX to work. I open files and sometimes for a short moment i can see the "reparse" button in the toolbar and after a few seconds it is disabled. Now in the latest version VAX is completly disabled in normal C++ files. I have no chance to retrigger a re-parsing or something else to make VAX work again. Sometimes it helps, if i re-open the files via the solution tree. Files opened through search-results or something doesnt work in most cases.
I first recognized this behavior in 1854. I re-installed a older version and now it doesn't work even with the older version. Now i installed the latest version and nothing works anymore.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  04:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please try rebuilding your symbol databases to see if it make any difference?

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

Which icon are you trying to use? Is it on the VA toolbar? Can you please take a screenshot of it and upload here? Anyway, you shouldn't have to use it manually, since VA normally reparses the file in 1-5 seconds (depending on the file size) after you change it.

It VA disabled in all files?
Can you please create a clean new win32 project. Are you seeing the same problem there?
Can you please check if VA is enabled in the Extension Manager?
Tools -> Extension Manager...
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  07:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After re-building (again) it looks much better now.

In the last version the half of the buttons on the right side of the toolbar were disabled. In the latest version all buttons were disabled. VAX did not recognized the c++ files and even switch from .h to .cpp does not work, but it worked from .cpp to .h. VAX was loaded and enabled in the AddIn Manager.

Maybe a auto-rebuild could be performed in cases, where the database changed a lot or has some errors (maybe through VS crashes).

Thanks for help. Problem seems to be solved.
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  09:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...I was a bit too fast The problem is back. I can not realy figure out a pattern, when it's working and when not. Also in a clean empty solution and project I have problems switching between .h and .cpp. There are also failures in highlighting.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  12:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What directory is the clean empty solution in? Is this directory set as a stable include directory?

Do you have any other plugins installed?

When VA is not working, if you use the menu:

VAssistX -> Open File in Solution...

does this dialog appear, and is it listing files? I am wondering if VA is just not working at all, or if it is working, but having serious problems understanding your solutions.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  02:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. I figured out why VAX does not work properly. I have re-enabled the VS intelli-sense dll, something like feacp.dll or so, because VAX does not recognized several symbols correct and I could not "goto" or "find references" and so on... I hoped the dll and the "get from intelli sense" option could help a bit, but I was wrong. Now I disabled (renamed) the dll and VAX works, but several symbols are not recognized. I am not sure, but I think I re-enabled the dll after the last version (not latest), because I noticed the described issues there.

Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  3:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it's better now as I understand. If you create a clean new win32 test project, everything is working now?
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  02:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. It is fine so far.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  5:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. So let's concentrate on the original issue: why aren't the symbols recognized.

As a guess, do you use "complex" macros in your code? Macros calling macros? Or maybe macros that create member functions, variables or a part of the class, etc. It may cause problems like this.

Can you please take a screenshot of the source code, where there are underlined, unrecognized symbols? It may give us a clue about what is happening. If you don't want to post it publicly, you can send it in:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please paste the URL of this thread to the description field so we can match it up.
Bear in mind that VA only displays underlines from modified files.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  3:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the screenshots, thank you. I have replied by e-mail.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000