New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rittjc
Ketchup Master

USA
84 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2011 :  12:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an idea that would really enhance the value of VA. Since there is more and more XML going on today. There needs to be a way to navigate in an XML file the same as you can with the ListMethodsInFile function. Call it list elements in a file. It would need to be a tree (or graph) instead of just a list as there is nesting of elements. I spend a lot of time in text editors hunting for nodes to reference things and its also hard to determine if the element you are on is in the context you needed it. There may be a hundred of those nodes so how can you browse.

Additional functionality would be to be able to filter the list by XPath or multi-element/attribute context searches.

Another future feature could be an XSD visual viewer to see relationship of the schema definitions. Like the VA View/Outline but for XML and XSD.

Usually you have to buy an expensive editor dedicated to XML/XSD only.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  10:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting request. I did a little experiment, pasted an xsd (xml scheme) example into a .xml file, and got the following result:

Would it be useful to enable VA Outline in .xds files (based on this screenshot) as the first step?

quote:
There needs to be a way to navigate in an XML file the same as you can with the ListMethodsInFile function.

Isn't VA outline useful for this purpose? I don't work with XML files, this is why I'm asking.

Edited by - accord on Sep 02 2011 10:26:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000