Parsing of a path relative to a solution
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ketchup

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  06:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

for maintenance reasons, I have structured my source code to have my stable headers in a folder relative to the solution. This path is added via a property sheet into the solution. Sincerelly VisualAssist does not pick up this folder, and I can not add it as a stable folder. The structure is as follow:

• maintenance folder structure for version 1.x:
    * maint_1.x\\common\\include
    * maint_1.x\\common\\common.vsprops
    * maint_1.x\\Product\\Product.sln --> includes ..\\common\\common.vsprops

• maintenance folder structure for version 2.x:
    * maint_2.x\\common\\include
    * maint_2.x\\common\\common.vsprops
    * maint_2.x\\Product\\Product.sln --> includes ..\\common\\common.vsprops

• maintenance folder structure for trunk:
    * trunk\\common\\include
    * trunk\\common\\common.vsprops
    * trunk\\Product.tryout1\\Product.sln --> includes ..\\common\\common.vsprops
    * trunk\\Product.tryout2\\Product.sln --> includes ..\\common\\common.vsprops

In this way, I can have multiple maintenance folders on my harddisc, without interfering with any upstream changes in the common header structure. And I can have multiple tryouts of my trunk or maintenance versions, without having the same common folder multiple times.

All my Products will always add the common folder structure via property sheets from one level higher, than the location of the the solution.

This works perfectly for me, the only downside is, that the common\\include folders are not picked up by VisualAssist.

It would be nice if
* VisualAssist would parse the property sheets also.
* VisualAssist would allow to configure relative pathes as stable or other files to the configuration.

Best regards
John

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  2:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE are you working in? Property sheets are supposed to work, and they work for me, so I am wondering if you have done something different to me with your property sheets.

The problem with trying to add relative paths to the stable include directories is that the stable include directories are "global", they apply across all solutions you open. If I understand correctly, you don't want that here, since the library directories are branch specific.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Ketchup

2 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  4:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello feline,

sorry, I'm working in VS2010 in the moment. You are right, my stable directories are stable in the sence of the context, e.g. for all maintenance versions of product version 1.x, but not global for all versions.

My property sheets contain the following entry:

> AdditionalIncludeDirectories="$(SolutionDir)..\\local\\include"

If I include this property sheet, I will always find my stable headers one level above the solution file.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  1:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say VA does not pick up the folder you have set in the property sheet, what do you mean?

I have created a very simple VS2010 test solution, and used the property sheet to set a C++ additional include directory of "$(SolutionDir)..\\property_sheet_dir"

In the main code file "cpp_console_property_sheet.cpp" I have added a #include line for a header file (line 6) in this sub directory. When I place the caret into the file name in the #include line VA shows me the correct path to this file, and Alt-g opens this file for me.

I have uploaded a zip of this test solution here:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/colin/forumimages/topic_10512_prop_sheet_testing.zip

Can you try downloading and opening this solution on your machine please, and see if this works correctly for you as well? Am I testing the same thing as you? Or am I testing something different?

Please note I have only set the C++ additional include directory in the Debug property sheet.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000