New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

__Daniel__

Poland
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  03:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 monitors, dualview.
Usually i open visual studio on right monitor and all visualassist windows on left.
Some time i move vs to left monitor and then when i open va widow it apperas on... somewhere.
Idea: store a configuration for va windows positions for each monitor separately.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  6:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which version of Visual Assist are you using? From the history of changes, Build 1854 contains the following improvement:

New! Dialog positioning is smarter on multi-monitor systems. (case=57285)

I tried to open "Open File in Solution Dialog" (alt+shift+o) and it opens on the monitor where I drag Visual Studio on my dual-monitor system. Which VA window are you talking about?
Go to Top of Page

gmit
Whole Tomato Software

Croatia
90 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  6:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the logic works like this:
- if a window was on the same monitor as VS, it will be positioned next time on the same monitor as VS as well
- if a window was not on the same monitor, it will be positioned on its last absolute coordinates

Daniel, your case is probably the latter one. Your idea would work for your case, but, I believe it would break the first one.
Go to Top of Page

__Daniel__

Poland
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  11:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm...
- if a VA window is on the same monitor as VS -> use position like now
- if a VA window is on the "next" monitor -> use configuration for "monitor where VS is" ( one configuration for VS on left monitor, one for rigth, top/bottom ).
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  2:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically, you would like to extend our logic with improved two-monitor support for owners with "wandering" Visual Studio.

Your suggestion is to store separate configuration depending on what monitor is your Visual Studio on, and storing the positions globally. Is that right?
My suggestion for two monitors would be to store the coordinates locally for the "other" monitor. So if you move Visual Studio to the other monitor, Visual Assist windows will be mirrored, kind of. More like "swapping" window positions, since the "other" monitor will be changed.

Anyway, how ofter you move your Visual Studio? Do you think it is worth the effort to try to improve it? I mean, "improving" is also "complicating" and it is not always a good thing, since it makes it harder for users to understand what is happening. I mean, coding a feature like this is one thing, but we have to be careful about assuming what users would expect "complex" situations to avoid annoyance.

The disadvantage of my method is one would need to move the windows back if he want his windows on one monitor.
The disadvantage of your method is that one would need to organize VA windows for both case.

I wanted to think through this whole in a form of "debate", to see what you and others think about this.

Out of interest: *if* you move VS often between the your monitors, I am wondering why you do this. Can you please explain a typical scenario?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000