Feature Requests
 Switch to file from working set
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

apostlethwaite

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  03:46:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add a new dialog similar to the Open File in Solution, but filter the entries to the currently open (and perhaps very recently closed) files in the IDE.

This would be similar to buffer switching in Emacs.

I work on a solution containing two projects, but both contain similarly named files. Typically I will open some files from one project and end up with the working set I need.

I can currently switch between these files using the Ctrl+Tab shortcut in VS, but it's slow. Using the Open File in Solution allows me to type the desired filename, but the first hit might be from the project which I'm not currently working on.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  11:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you aware of the Most recently used list in the top half of VA View:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/mru.asp

If you are using a more modern IDE (VC6 does not do this), try pressing CTRL+ALT+Down Arrow together. This should open the small pull down list at the right hand end of the tab bar. It is just to the left of the X for closing the current tab. This is a simple list of all open files, and once I discovered it I found it to be very useful, and I am often using it to quickly and easily swap between open files.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

apostlethwaite

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  11:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,

quote:
Originally posted by feline

Are you aware of the Most recently used list in the top half of VA View:

Yeah, but this requires a) having the view open, b) using the mouse to select the file.

I tend to have nothing but the code editor open most of the time.

quote:
try pressing CTRL+ALT+Down Arrow together. This should open the small pull down list at the right hand end of the tab bar.

Yes I've used that as well, but it suffers from the same problem as Ctrl+Tab interface - you can't type to filter the results.
It's got a non-fuzzy match, so you can start the filename, I suppose that's enough in most circumstances.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  4:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For VA View, you can set this to auto hide, so it takes up virtually no screen space, and map a keyboard shortcut to the command VAssistX.VAView in the IDE keyboard settings. Once focus is in VA View tab twice will get you into the recently used list. Not instant, but fairly quick and easy.

How many open files do you normally have a time? The OFIW dialog is designed for handling lots of files, and seems like a slightly "heavy" solution here.

Go to Top of Page

apostlethwaite

5 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  11:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, good tip about the shortcut to va-view, i hadn't thought of doing that.

quote:
How many open files do you normally have a time? The OFIW dialog is designed for handling lots of files, and seems like a slightly "heavy" solution here.

not many, let's say between 30 and 40, but OFIW is almost automatic at this point. i use it above almost every other way of opening a file, because it's so quick to type and choose.

typically i'll know i want to go to file "monkey.cpp", but if i have different "monkey.cpp"s in multiple projects, its a glance to the project column to see which one i definitely want. it's still much quicker than using the ctrl+tab cycling.

va-view with keyboard accelerator might work out as a good shortcut to open files, i'll give it a go.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  9:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes sense, and you make a good case here. I have put in a feature request for this. Adding a check box to the existing Open File dialog to only show open files should work well here.

case=64838

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000