Flickering of VA Navigation Bar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stefanadelbert

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  11:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm experiencing constant flickering of the contents of drop-down lists in the VA Navigation Bar when unexpanded. Flickering continues if the dropdown box is focussed or "dropped down", however items displayed in the dropped-down list do not flicker, just the currently selected (active) item.

I would really appreciate some insight as I don't want to disable the Navigation Bar - I use it all the time.

My system is:
Windows 7 (64bit)
VS2012 Professional (SP1)
VA X 10.7.1929.0 (current latest)

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  2:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please run a CPU monitor, and see if devenv.exe is using a lot of CPU time when this is happening? Specifically, is something using 100% of a single CPU core?

We have had a user report the same problem, which they tracked down to a problem with VS2012 its self:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/768089/visual-studio-shows-initializing-for-vc-projects

so I am wondering if you might be seeing the same problem and effect.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

stefanadelbert

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  12:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can confirm that this happens when devenv is cranking along. I don't know what it's doing, but it's apparently using up to 25% (mean ~15%) of my 8 core machine's available CPU and ca. 1GB of memory. I have Intellisense disabled, so it shouldn't be that.

I've disabled the Browsing Database (as suggested in the link in the previous post) and restarted VS and things appear much calmer now. I'll monitor it and post back if this isn't the "fix".
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  12:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, and its good to know that this has helped

If you have any more problems, it might be worth looking for and deleting the .SDF file in the root directory of your solution. This large file is where VS2012 stores its intellisense database. In earlier IDE's the intellisense file getting corrupted would cause various nasty problems, so its a thought.

Go to Top of Page

darkZ

4 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2013 :  5:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

So I am facing this same problem and I have already followed the suggestions in this thread. So after disabling Browsing Database the flickering goes away but ever time I interact with the editor the flickering resumes until I stop interacting. BTW this happens for the non-highlighted window when there are multiple windows on a single screen.

Edited by - darkZ on Sep 26 2013 6:00:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  2:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please post a screen shot showing your screen layout? Your reference to multiple windows on the screen is interesting, so its possible this is somehow related to your window configuration.

Go to Top of Page

darkZ

4 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  6:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just figured out that it was possibly caused by using a skinning software called Windowblinds along with Visual Assist. There was some other bug where pressing 'd' key would restore and maximize just the visual Studio window when used with visual assist x. Seems like these two software are not currently compatible. Uninstalling windowblinds removes the flickering problem. So I no longer have a screen shot to share but thanks your offer to help.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2013 :  10:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, I am familiar with the maximize and restore on 'd' problem with WindowBlinds, but I don't remember anyone reporting the flickering before.

You should be able to keep WindowBlinds installed and simply exclude the IDE, "devenv.exe" from being skinned. You can do this in the Per Application settings:

http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/docs/perapp.asp

Edited by - feline on Sep 30 2013 10:16:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Zed
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2013 :  3:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem in VS2012 with the latest version of VA. The problem only occurs when showing 2 editor tabs. I don't have the WindowBlinds addon.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  4:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the slow reply.

When you are seeing this problem, which programming language are you using? What file extension are the open files?

How do you have the editor tabs arranged? Are you using two horizontally or two vertically split tab groups?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000