Source code Beautifier
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elli
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2013 :  11:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The VS caps here very limited. More options like "Uncrustify" are required. Works on selected area or the whole file.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2013 :  11:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you post an example to explain what you are talking about? "Uncrustify" is not a term I recognise.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jay.carlton
Ketchup Master

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  9:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I had not heard of that one, thank you for the link.

Unfortunately we don't have any current plans to add source code formatting to VA. From the description, "454 configurable options as of version 0.60", which says it all. People are very specific about how they want their source code formatted, and there are a lot of different opinions out there, so you need a massive number of options to make everyone happy.

Go to Top of Page

jay.carlton
Ketchup Master

USA
65 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  09:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True. Just to play devil's advocate, it would be interesting someday to exploit VA X's custom just-in-time painting capabilities to do a "soft reformat" of somebody else's code to match my conventions without actually editing the file or checking it out. And you wouldn't need UI widget for every option if you exposed a small domain specific language for applying the formatting rules. Maybe not a whole regex engine, but enough to say I want spaces and tabs to work this way, or whatever.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  12:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting thought, but our colouring code does not work like that. We are applying custom colouring over the top of what the IDE does, sometimes behind the IDE's back. The methods are different in VS2010 and above, but we are still working with the file structure and symbol positions that the IDE gives us.

If you start claiming that a line of code starts at column 8 when the IDE thinks it starts at column 1, then all sorts of fun and games will follow. As I understand it any reformatting of the code needs to actually be a real reformatting of the code.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000