Technical Support
 VAX exception
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

werelord

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  12:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm running Visual Assist v10.7.1940.0, with Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 (although I have been getting this exception in previous versions of VS..

Occasionally, usually once or twice per day, I'm getting an exception in VS from an addon, and I believe it is from VAX.. The error is as follows:

969 ERROR System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: targetSnapshot at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.SnapshotSpan.TranslateTo(ITextSnapshot targetSnapshot, SpanTrackingMode spanTrackingMode) at Microsoft.VisualC.CppOutliner.GetTags(NormalizedSnapshotSpanCollection spans) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Tagging.Implementation.TagAggregator`1.<GetTagsForBuffer>d__16.MoveNext() Editor or Editor Extension 2013/08/05 17:07:26.500

970 ERROR System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: targetSnapshot at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.SnapshotSpan.TranslateTo(ITextSnapshot targetSnapshot, SpanTrackingMode spanTrackingMode) at Microsoft.VisualC.CppOutliner.GetTags(NormalizedSnapshotSpanCollection spans) at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Tagging.Implementation.TagAggregator`1.<GetTagsForBuffer>d__16.MoveNext() Editor or Editor Extension 2013/08/05 17:07:26.537

This usually happens when I open an existing c++ header or source file.. I believe its in relation to the source outlining code; when the exception happens outlining is unavailable in the given source file that was opened when the exception happens.. The exception references the ActivityLog.xml which is where I pulled the exception details above.

This isn't necessarily a breaking exception; VAX and VS continue to work as normal, and other files still have outlining available. Just wanted to give a heads up to see if this bug can be fixed..

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2013 :  6:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the problem is due to an invalid cache built by Visual Studio. If you delete the cache it should fix the issue:

Close Visual Studio and then delete all files including sub directories:
C:\\Users\\<username>\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\11.0\\ComponentModelCache\\*

and all .cache files in the following directory and its subdirectories:
C:\\Users\\<username>\\AppData\\Local\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\11.0\\Extensions\\*.cache

Visual Studio will rebuild those files when it starts up, and should resolve your problem.
Go to Top of Page

werelord

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2013 :  08:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will give that a try, thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000