Technical Support
 End of line after automatic ()
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr.Plow

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2013 :  3:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, I'm new with this amazing program. Thanks for this!

My question is really simple but I couldn't find a solution.

After writing a function and pressing TAB, I get () with the cursor in the middle waiting for parameters. Is there a way to insert the ; at the end, or to go to the end of the line after the ) without having to press the arrows or End button? Something like ctrl+enter or whatever.

Thanks very much!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2013 :  2:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately not currently, no. VA is placing the caret between the brackets, ready for you to enter any parameters this function call needs. We are considering a feature to move a semi-colon you type here to the end of the line:

case=296

so you would be able to just type the semi-colon without having to manually move the caret to the end of the line.

Alternatively you can turn off the VA option:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Correction -> insert () and closing } ) ] ' "

This is a bit more drastic, but might help you, depending on how you like to code.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Plow

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  12:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response. Just an idea, in the Eclipse IDE, when the brackets are automatically added, the caret turns green. When you finish your parameters insertion, you press enter and the caret goes to the end of the line and the caret turns natural again. This would be a nice Idea for VAX. (the turning green part is not necessary haha, only the the end of line feature).

Anyway, this program is amazing, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2013 :  1:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is something we have considered, but the problem here is that this "stops" you splitting long lines. If you have a function with several parameters, or a coding standard that says no lines past column X, then you can often find yourself wanting to split a function call across more than one line, as you are typing it.

I often split complex if statements across more than one line, to help visually mark out the logical blocks and operations.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000