New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dadi

Israel
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  06:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

There is a huge disadvantage of using Visual Studio native Find in Files using "Entire Solution" option. If specific files are included in more than one project in the solution (which is very common in our projects) than there will be multiple results listed for the same file. The results window becomes very cluttered and it is very hard to browse for the results.

Maybe there any better alternative using Visual Assist? I'm not talking about VA Find All References and also I'm not taking about external tools like grep (which is not solution scope), I'm looking for a pure text search in the Solution.

If such alternative currently not available in VA, if you will consider adding it in the future then it will be very helpful (Actually this is what VA is for, improve native VS features...).

Thanks You,
Eldad

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  1:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are you trying to do? I am trying to understand what VA would be able to add here.

Just removing duplicates from the list does not sound like a large change. I assume you realise you can always copy and paste the IDE Find results window content into an editor, and remove duplicate lines / results that way?

Since you seem to be getting a lot of results to search through, have you considered trying to use a more "accurate", more focussed search? I assume you are searching the comments, since you want free text search, but searching unstructured text is normally going to produce a lot of results.

If you are trying to find markers in comments, for example TODO markers, then you can use the IDE task list to help here.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Dadi

Israel
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  06:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I just want to remove duplicates inside the Find Results window.

We have solution with a large set of projects and many utility files are included in many projects. This causes many unsorted duplications. E.g. Instead of getting 6 lines then I'm getting >50 lines. I have to match with my eyes every time to know what is duplicated. Using F4 to browse next/previous brings me again and and again to the same position.

Your suggestion to copy and paste the results into the editor will disable the ability to link between the results to the source code using double click and/or Next/Prev keyboard shortcuts (F4/Shift+F4). Also I'm doing this kind of search a lot so it is not acceptable to copy/paste each time again and again.

The most common searches I'm doing are for sub-string of existing tags (variable names, function names, etc...), without using Match whole word and case in-sensitive.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  10:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the clear answer, and that also means that trying to use Find References here is not going to help that much. I have put in a feature request for this to see what our developers make of it:

case=78176

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000