Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Colorizing disappears almost immediately...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mordachai
Tomato Guru

USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  2:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I VS2013 to Update 1 last Friday. When I came in on Monday, I find that enhanced syntax highlighting is broken.

When I open a file - initially I see the highlighting correctly. But then it either disappears immediately, or when I click into the document, or occasionally it takes a bit longer and then it disappears.

I am also getting plug-in crash alerts sometimes - the ActivityLog.xml ends with this description field:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.CompletionSet.MatchCompletionList(IList`1 completionList, CompletionMatchType matchType, Boolean caseSensitive)#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.CompletionSet.SelectBestMatch(CompletionMatchType matchType, Boolean caseSensitive)#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.ShimCompletionSet.SelectBestMatch()#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.Implementation.CompletionSession.Match()#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Language.Intellisense.Implementation.CompletionSession.OnViewBuffer_Changed(Object sender, TextContentChangedEventArgs e)#x000D;#x000A; at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.RaiseEvent[TArgs](Object sender, EventHandler`1 eventHandlers, TArgs args)

I've tried all of the usual things:
* reboot
* restart
* clear symbols & cache
* rebuild symbols
* full clean of my file system for this project

For now I've disabled enh. syntax highlighting in VA, and customized VS2013 more. However, I still get the above crashes - normally when VA is looking up a symbol I am in the middle of typing (i.e. it's doing a type-ahead suggestion for me, and boom).

I'm running the latest released version of VA & VS professional 2013 update 1

Edited by - Mordachai on Jan 28 2014 3:04:45 PM

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  12:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Intellisense is the parser for Visual Studio's default colorization and code completion, so I think it's not a VA crash. You can reset Intellisense database by exiting VS and deleting the .sdf file and ipch folder in your solution directory.

The colors disappear because the colorization priority may be lost on installing new Visual Studio and VS updates as far as I understand the problem. To fix this:

disable VA in Tools | Extensions and Updates.
Restart VS.
exit vs.
start VS.
Enable VA in Tools | Extensions and Updates.
Restart VS.

Alternatively, you can disable VS colors which will fix this issue, if you're using C++:

Tools -> Options... -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Semantic Colorization

Edited by - accord on Jan 29 2014 12:33:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mordachai
Tomato Guru

USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2014 :  12:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks - will try this immediately! :D

This worked. Much appreciated!

Edited by - Mordachai on Jan 29 2014 12:42:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic