Syntax highlighting not preserved when copying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Greyze

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  06:58:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using the latest version of Visual Assist and Visual Studio 2013.

When I copy code from Visual Studio 2010, format and coloring is preserved when I paste to programs like Word and OneNote.

When I copy code from Visual Studio 2013, format and coloring is only preserved when I paste to Word. When I paste to OneNote I just get plain text with no color.

This is probably an issue with OneNote but I can't be sure, any ideas?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2014 :  1:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA does not apply its colouring to the clipboard, so this does indeed sound like a OneNote problem. I know in VS2010 the IDE is copying HTML into the clipboard, and the colouring is part of the HTML. So I assume that VS2013 is doing something similar.

You could try disabling VA via:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

and see if this makes any difference. It should not make any difference, but if it does it will suggest we are somehow involved.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Greyze

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  04:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok after some more investigation I think I discovered where the problem lies;

Visual Assist doesn't seem to be part of the issue. In other versions of Visual Studio it does copy HTML to the clipboard as you said, hence why any program I use (such as OneNote) takes the colour and formatting.

Visual Studio 2013 does not copy stuff correctly though, I even tried the free OneNote 2013 that was released yesterday. And this happens regardless of Visual Assist being enabled or not.

So as this is looking like a Visual Studio 2013 issue I've gone to MS for help, no idea if this is an intended change in 2013 or just a bug.

If this is an intended change.. would it be possible for VA to have functionality that could solve this issue in the future?
Go to Top of Page

Greyze

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  05:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ugh, i'm so silly, solved the problem!

In VS2010 I had Productivity Power Tools installed (which allows copying code in HTML to keep colour/formatting). I've had it installed for years and completely forgot about it.

As soon as I installed the addon to VS2013 it worked great. May as well close this thread I guess. Thanks for helping!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  4:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, I am glad you found the problem and fixed it. It is surprisingly easy for things like this to happen, when changing IDE or machine you can forget all of the updates and changes you made, and the first you know about it is when things don't work correctly.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000