Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Okay, I'm a little cranky right now, but...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2004 :  1:35:11 PM  Show Profile
... these VAX listboxes are driving me nuts!

I can't just type the way I normally do - I have to be constantly watching to see if a listbox pops up, because until I hit Escape to get rid of it, all the down-arrows in the world get ignored. This is very annoying. Here's an example:

I'm editing the "MyClass" constructor initializer list, trying to change this:

, m_nSpecHeight(370)

to this:

, m_nSpecHeight(0)

So, I highlight the "37", press "Del", and then arrow down several times to get to the next place I want to go. But wait! I'm stuck! My train of thought has been totally derailed - WTF is going on?

Oh, I see, VAX has popped some kind of listbox. (Which kind? Beats me - it has what look like lightbulbs in them, but I can't find a corresponding picture on the web site yet.) The listbox looks like this:

* {} const MyClass& rhs
     * {} const CString& sDir, const CString& sFileName

These are the arguments to MyClass's copy constructor and constructor. Why on Earth am I interested in those now? And why is VAX popping that listbox the instant I hit the Del key?? It doesn't pop when I enter a char, or use the arrow keys. Can we change it possibly to not pop these listboxes when I hit the Del or Backspace keys?

Upom further reflection, I think I don't like the fact the VAX listboxes eat up and down arrows. Not that I have a solution... maybe the listboxes should only respond to Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down arrows? Or maybe TAB should be used to cycle through the choices, and RETURN to select one?

The reason I think I hate the "eating" behavior is that it prevents me from typing as fast as I can - like I said, I have to always be on my guard for a VAX listbox, because if one pops, I have to stop what I'm doing, change my behavior, and focus on the tool instead of the code.

I dunno, maybe these listboxes shouldn't even pop until I hit some magic key-combo...

Okay, now someone tell me how I can change the behavior to the way I want via a few VAX checkboxes...

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2004 :  01:52:54 AM  Show Profile
Two side notes to this, one being that I have an identifier that is *exactly* the same as the one being suggested...please list box go away, don't force me to hit esc. Secondly I use tab to autocomplete, I don't know where I learned this behavior but please don't make tab cycle through suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

gstelmack
Ketchup Master

USA
76 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2004 :  09:06:10 AM  Show Profile
A related annoyance for me is the propensity to suggest completions when I'm typing numbers. Just let me type 0.0f without having a listbox pop up.

-- Greg Stelmack, Red Storm Entertainment
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2004 :  1:01:39 PM  Show Profile
We feel your pain. We are working aggressively to tame the suggestions. We agree they appear too often. Generally speaking, suggestions are most helpful when typing new code; they get in the way when changing existing code.

You are welcome to give examples of unnecessary suggestions, or wait for the next build before giving them. We expect to eliminate some of the obvious ones in 1216.

kschaab: Can you give us a screen shot of the *exactly* identical suggestion? Is case identical in the suggestion?

kschaab: We cannot replicate a scenario in which Tab cycles through suggestions. Can you confirm the listbox has suggestions, ie icons have tomatoes with question marks? If not, how did you make the listbox appear and do you have "Use Default Intellisense..." enabled on the C/C++ node of our options dialog. Do you have "Tab" and/or "Return" checked on the Completion node?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2004 :  12:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Suggestions offered only when next character is ) or EOL in build 1216.

Let us know what you think of the new behavior. Generally, suggestions are offered now when writing new code, not when tweaking existing code.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2004 :  11:31:34 AM  Show Profile
For the times when autocomplete suggests the current identifier, there doesn't seem to be any difference (maybe a space or something). I will send the next time it happens. One thing to note, I have only noticed it to happen when VAX suggests on typing the last character of the identifier.

Tab does not cycle at the moment, LarryLeonard was suggesting having tab cycle through suggestions, I was just suggesting that perhaps tab isn't the best key to use for this .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000