Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  03:24:48 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I'm using font Courier New (13 pixels according to the VA X about-box). When I see italic characters, their baseline is one pixel lower than the baseline of the other characters.

Does someone else see this with Courier New?
Does someone else notice this with another font?

I read the story of the rescaling of italic fonts. But are the fonts also rescaled in height? Or is a just sort of a rounding error?

I hope you can take a look at is sometime... Thank you in advance.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

Edited by - PatLuja on Feb 10 2004 03:41:02 AM

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2004 :  11:12:47 AM  Show Profile
VA X does not reshape fonts. VA X swaps regular characters with italic versions stored in the font, shifting characters if necessary to make them fit inside the space allotted on the display. In Courier New, the italicized characters are larger and hence, VA X does shift them down one pixel.

Create a line in Wordpad using Courier New 10. Select one of the words and italicize it. Notice Wordpad shifts the line down one pixel. VA X does not have the same luxury since it does not control the entire edit window. VA X does only the best it can.

FYI. While the IDE options dialog lets you select a font in point size, the internals of the IDE operate in pixels. Hence, when VA X looks for the current font, it finds a size in pixels. This is why "pixels" appears in our About node. Courier New 13 pixel happens to be the equivalent of Courier New 10 point.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2004 :  03:52:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello support,

I've checked your suggestion in Wordpad. It's something I didn't bother about before, obviously.

But since VA X knows that italics shift one pixel down (for what external reason whatsoever), couldn't VA X shift the italic characters one pixel up? (Or does this affect characters like question-marks and so?)

Thank you for taking your time to explain this.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2004 :  4:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Wordpad shifts lines when you add italics, not just the characters within the lines. Effectively, Wordpad reserves more space when italics are present. Lines are bigger, at least on the screen.

VA X cannot tell the IDE to shift lines to accommodate italics. The IDE reserves space only for plain text. VA X does its best to fit italics into the space.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000