Allow copying (Ctrl+C) VA Code Inspection Results
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Niels Dekker

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2018 :  09:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, I'm very happy about your Code Inspection feature, even though it is still "beta". Typically when I'm cleaning up C++ code, I try to address each Code Inspection message, one message at a time, and then add the message to the commit log text.

Is it possible to copy-and-paste a Code Inspection message from the VA Code Inspection Results? If not, could you enable copying Code Inspection messages, either by adding an extra context menu item or by supporting Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V? (Either one is fine by me!)

Note that the Error List in Visual Studio (for compile errors and warnings) does allow copy-and-paste already.

For the record, I have the latest build of Visual Assist (10.9.2291.5, 2018.10.02) installed on both Visual Studio 2015 and 2017

Niels Dekker
Scientific programmer at LKEB, Leiden University Medical Center

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2018 :  12:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you just looking to copy the name of the code issue that VA is listing? If so, this page contains a list of all of the code issues that we currently detect, so you can easily copy and paste the text from here:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W761

I know it's not the same, and not as direct, but it should help.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Niels Dekker

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2018 :  1:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, feline! The web page https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W761 is certainly helpful, although it appears that the page is slightly incorrect and slightly out of sync with the VA Code Inspector output. The page incorrectly says "Constructor of unique_pointer...", while VA Code Inspector output says it correctly: "Constructor of unique_ptr..." No problem, of course. But still... it would certainly be more convenient to directly copy the text from the Visual Studio output of VA Code Inspector.

Niels Dekker
Scientific programmer at LKEB, Leiden University Medical Center
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2018 :  07:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good catch on the documentation, I will look into this next.

This makes sense, and I can see how copying the code inspection result directly would be helpful:

case=104660

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000