Autocomplete and function documentation too large
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pmoejoe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2020 :  8:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've connected my laptop to a second monitor for the first time and I've begun to have a strange problem when using Visual Assist in Visual Studio Community 2019. For some reason the refactor menu, auto complete suggestion menu, and the documentation for selected items in the suggestion menu are very large. This is only happening when Visual Studio is on the second monitor, and all other font sizes and menus appear normal. For some things it doesn't bother me that these menus are so large, but some of the time the documentation information will not fit on the screen, which can be very frustrating. I've looked around in Visual Studio settings and Visual Assist settings, but I have not been able to figure out how to change the sizes for these menus. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed. Thanks!

pmoejoe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2020 :  10:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the statement completion font size setting in Visual Studio. It fixed the issue of the autocomplete font being too large. However, I have not yet found the appropriate setting for the refactor menu and auto complete function descriptions. Even with the statement compete font size on the smallest setting it's still a little too large on the external display, but it's now too small on the laptop display. It's somewhat unfortunate that I'll have to change the font sizes if I want to switch between my external display and laptop screen. Seems that there should be a better fix for this issue. Still trying to resolve the issue with the sizes of the refactor menu and function descriptions, so I'm open to suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

pmoejoe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  02:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found the solution over on Stack Overflow. The problem seems to be caused by Visual Studio defaulting its menu size scaling for the resolution of the primary display rather than the display it's being used on. So since my external display is of a lower resolution, the menus were being scaled 250% while the rest of the editor was being scaled normally. The solution was to make my external display the primary display and log out to allow the settings to take effect.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  05:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> General -> Optimize rendering for screens with different pixel densities (requires restart)

turned On or Off?

Was this problem only effecting items displayed by Visual Assist, or by the IDE as well?

We are working to improve VA's handling of different monitors with different DPI settings, to try and avoid these sorts of issues.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

pmoejoe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  8:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I did have that setting turned on. The problem appeared to only be with items displayed by VA or by VA and VS together. Items displayed only by VS appear normal. The delta-shaped button to show the refactor menu, the refactor menu itself and item descriptions from the statement completion menus were all scaled at 250%, which was the setting for my laptop display. The statement completion menu was also scaled up, but that shows both the tomato and visual studio logos, so I assume it�s a hybrid menu. I was able to control the size of that using the statement completion text settings in VS, but I was not able to change the sizes of the VA-only items. It appeared that these items were all using the 250% scaling of my primary laptop display rather than the 100% scaling of my external display.
I�ve also determined that that the inverse is true. When my external monitor is my primary display and I move VS over to the higher resolution laptop screen, the same menus use the 100% scaling of the external display, and thus appear tiny on the laptop screen. Not sure if others have experienced this, but it seems that there may be a bug that causes the VA menus to always use the scaling of the primary display.

Edited by - pmoejoe on Jul 22 2020 8:18:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2020 :  06:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does turning off this setting have any effect on this problem?

If you change your high DPI monitor to only using 200% scaling, do you still see the effect? The default Windows 10 settings will only allow me to go to 200% scaling on my system here, apparently my monitors are not big enough / high enough resolution to do 250%.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2020 :  08:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found a tool that lets me set one monitor to 100% scaling and the second monitor to 250% scaling. So far I have not been able to reproduce any size problems with VA, with the IDE placed on either monitor.

I am testing Windows 10 version 1909, Visual Studio 2019 version 15.9.25 and VA 2382.0

How does this compare to what you are running?

Do you have all of the parts of the IDE on a single monitor, or do you have parts of the IDE spread out across two monitors, via floating tool windows?

How are you triggering the items that are the wrong size? Mouse hover? Keyboard shortcuts? Typing in the IDE? Something else?

Go to Top of Page

pmoejoe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2020 :  9:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turning off that setting does seem to correct the issue, which is a bit unexpected. All my research seemed to indicate that I should make sure it was turned on, so I didn't think to try turning it off when it was on by default. Nice to see it correctly scaling things regardless of which screen VS is on though.

I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1909, and Visual Studio Community 2019 version 16.6. I'm running a trial license of VA, and am not positive where to find the version number. However, I see VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2360.0 built 2020.02.20 under System Info if that's at all helpful. If not, please point me to where I can find a more useful version number.

I have all parts of the IDE on a single monitor. The delta-shaped button that opens the refactor menu is triggered by hovering over an item. The refactor menu was triggered by clicking the button. The statement completion menu was triggered by typing, and the item descriptions in the next to the statement completion options are triggered by highlighting an item in the list with the up/down arrow keys. All of these items seemed to be using the primary monitor's scaling when optimized rendering was turned on. Everything appears normal on both monitors with it turned off.

Edited by - pmoejoe on Jul 23 2020 9:24:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  05:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are using an older version of VA. We have made further fixes to improve handling of different monitors having different DPI / scaling factors since then.

If you open the VA Options dialog and go to the System Info page, the second line lists the VA_X.dll file version.

The current version is 10.9.2382.0, which is build 2382.0. You are running build 2360.0

You can download the latest version of VA from this page:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

Go to Top of Page

pmoejoe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2020 :  5:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know! I installed the trial license through the Visual Studio IDE very recently, so I assumed it was giving me the latest release by default. Not sure why it didn't, but I probably should've thought to confirm. I've updated to the latest version and it seems to have resolved the issue on both displays, even when the optimized rendering setting is turned on. Glad to know it was that simple, even though I feel a little silly for not checking that I had the latest version. Thanks for your help and patience!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2020 :  07:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what I am here for, and its reasonable to expect the version found through Visual Studio to be the most recent version I am glad this had an easy fix, plus I found out how to test 250% scaling, which is bound to be useful one of these days.

When we first release a new build we don't update the version in the Visual Studio store immediately, just in case a bug has made it through our testing. We do our best to cover everything, but now and then something comes up, and we like to catch that before it effects to many customers.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000